Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:51:51 AM EDT
Since I am not a US resident I don´t need any US parts to make the conversion legal.
So what parts on the saiga with conventional stock do I need to change to make it work?

Thank´s!

The only thing straight in a twisted society is the bullet from a rifle
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
hers your list of parts

trigger guard
5 rivets for guard
buttstock
pistol grip
nut and bolt for pg
4 rivets to fill holes from orig fcg

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank´s a lot!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#3]
socandyman u forgot
FCG  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
also forgot about a piece of 3/4" plumbers pipe to weld onto the trunion to make a feed ramp, saiga mags are diferent than standard AK mags.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
So you can't just do the mod to accept the AK mags...you also have to add a feed ramp? Also, does just doing the mag conversion require you to add all the US parts for compliance? I don't plan to add the evil pistol grip...just want the larger capacity mags.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
i have seen a gunsmith silver solder a small piece of metal onto the front of the standard AK mag.  Look at the saiga mag, and the ak mag, looking from the front.  you can see where the saiga mags have a built in "feed ramp".  silver solder was used so you are not permenantly altering a mag so it will not function in the original firearm it was made for.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Parrandero: Thank´s for the link, but the saiga convertion at cross-conn is for a Saiga in .223, can I use the same tutorial with my 7.62 X 39 rifle?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand the need for the "Bullet Guide".  

Take a look at any other AK and you will not see anything like that.  I have had a couple SAR1s and WASR10s,  I have Rommy, Polish and AMD kits.   NONE of these has anything resembling a feed ramp.  Every one of these AKs has a flat chamber end and the trunion is at least 1/4" below the lower flat face of the chamber.

The rounds are stripped from the mag and pushed straight in to the chamber.  I would look more closely at other AKs before making that mod.  These Saigas are supposed to be sporterized AKs with only trigger and stocks affected.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Try it without the bullet guide. It probably wont work, and you will have to do it anyway.

Almost all, if not all AKs have a bullet guide rivited to the trunnion just below
the chamber end of the barrel.
You need the bullet guide / feed ramp IF you want to use standard AK mags without having
to modify each and every mag to work.

You may not be able to see it very well, but it is there.
They are available through K-Var, or you can make one with a hack saw,
and a file in about 10 min.  Make sure you fit it properly and test feed it with ammo out of
a mag to make sure it does feed. Be sure that the bolt does close properly with a live round
in the chamber. The bolt can drag against the bullet guide if it is to thick.
The bolt will not rotate properly to close completely.

The conversions are very easy to do.

KyARGuy
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top