Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2006 3:52:05 PM EDT
good day all,
ive been lurking here one the darkside for some time now and decided im going for it....the next rifle build will be an AK! im a bit confused on acouple of points and if yall could help id appreciate it..

if i get a 100% reciever i dont have to weld or bend anything right?

do i need to use any specific parts to get the required number of US made aprts, or must they be any particular ten parts?

Ive built one AR and im half done with another, so im quite familiar with mallets and punches...will anymore tools be required to build my AK? i would imagine ill need some kind of rivet device, but whats teh best one to use?

what AK variant would be the easiest build to pop my AK cherry?  I'd like an underfolder but if its more complicated i can build one later.

any advice would much appreciated..thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest looking at the threads at the top (the ones with the red push pins next to them).

They are a wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of into to take in at first.  I am a noob to AK building myself.

if i get a 100% reciever i dont have to weld or bend anything right?

Right

do i need to use any specific parts to get the required number of US made aprts, or must they be any particular ten parts?

Any, it's your preference.

will anymore tools be required to build my AK? i would imagine ill need some kind of rivet device, but whats teh best one to use?

Alot of folks are using the rivet squeezers made from 18" or 24" bolt cutters.  Look around and you will see pics of them.  About $10-15 if you make them yourselfs or you can find people selling them for around $40.  There is also rivet jigs for the trigger guard.  You could always use screws for that.  My first build is with U drive bolts.  You probably want a dremel, maybe a drill press for demilling.

what AK variant would be the easiest build to pop my AK cherry? I'd like an underfolder but if its more complicated i can build one later.

I'd buy a cheap Romy kit for the first go round.  You could go ahead and pick up an underfolder if you find a good deal.  That is what I did.  I bought a good condition Romy for the first and an unissued Romy for the second and an underfolder to tackle third.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Also get yourself a copy of the shotgun news article.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You don't need 10 US parts, You need less than 10 imported parts.

Also get one of these, the best $10 you ever spent.
Build CD
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top