Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2006 10:01:18 AM EDT
I was wondering what my options were in NYS for building an AK?  I work with a guy that says he has built 4 but I do not know if he stuck to the AWB or not.  I figure I would ask the experts.  What kit, receiver, parts kits, etc. I would need.  I can figure out the tooling from what he has and what has already been posted.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No removable muzzle device. Must be perm. attached. No bayo lug and no folding or telecopic stocks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds easy enough, are there any muzzle brakes etc. that I cant use even if I permanently attach them?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have built quite a few kits. go ahead and order your kit and whatever type receiver you choose(flat,80% or 100%) . before I even get started make sure you have all your compliant parts already.I usually take a zip lock bag and put my US pg,FCG,piston,and US marked brake(if I am using one) as soon as I get the kit de-milled and cleaned up I grind the bayo lug ears,and tig tack or siver solder a muzzlenut or brake on. I prefer the muzzlenut becuase you need one US part more using a muzzlebrake. now when you assemble you will be compliant at both federal and NYS levels. if you assemble prior to grinding the bayo lug and tack welding the muzzle you might be in violation of NYS AWB. better safe than sorry,I don't take any chances.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have built quite a few kits. go ahead and order your kit and whatever type receiver you choose(flat,80% or 100%) . before I even get started make sure you have all your compliant parts already.I usually take a zip lock bag and put my US pg,FCG,piston,and US marked brake(if I am using one) as soon as I get the kit de-milled and cleaned up I grind the bayo lug ears,and tig tack or siver solder a muzzlenut or brake on. I prefer the muzzlenut becuase you need one US part more using a muzzlebrake. now when you assemble you will be compliant at both federal and NYS levels. if you assemble prior to grinding the bayo lug and tack welding the muzzle you might be in violation of NYS AWB. better safe than sorry,I don't take any chances.

If it's permanently attached to the barrel, it counts as part of the barrel. So you only need 5 US parts if you weld/solder on your slant brake or nut.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So you can have a slant on it?  I think they look cooler then the brakes.  What kits should I stay away from?  I see a lot of Romy kits for around $250 for #1...I need 5 US parts?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
you can still get Romy kits for $99 from copes(I think) or hand picked with g2 FCG for $134? your receiver will count as 1 part, FCG will count as another 3, piston is 1part, and US pistol grip is 1 part. for a total of 6 US parts, More than you need. I was hesitant on my first build becuase of the laws... but your doing exactly what I did and asking questions. I am still learning on every build, your best bet is to join a build party in your area. you share tools and info.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I will probably just get with the guy I work with, he seems knowlegable.  He told me he built a few AKs, ARs, Fals, etc. we didn't get much work done last nite, LOL.

How do these look?

dpharms.com/kits-c-22.html?os...9423555d12334f
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you can still get Romy kits for $99 from copes(I think) or hand picked with g2 FCG for $134? your receiver will count as 1 part, FCG will count as another 3, piston is 1part, and US pistol grip is 1 part. for a total of 6 US parts, More than you need. I was hesitant on my first build becuase of the laws... but your doing exactly what I did and asking questions. I am still learning on every build, your best bet is to join a build party in your area. you share tools and info.

You can install a US made brake instead of replacing the pistol grip if you prefer to keep it looking a bit more original. I like the look of the original red Romy pistol grips.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]
All this might be moot if the wrong person gets elected governor.  So far Eliot Spitzer has not made his views public on the proposed COMPLETE assault weapons ban i.e., NO grandfathering for guns or hi cap mags.  NY'ers could have a Kalifornia law-----either turn in ALL AKs and ARs, etc for destruction or ship them out of state.  Last year the bill didn't make it out of committee.  

But that was last year.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top