Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:35:27 AM EDT
I'm having the dumbest problem.  I installed my selector, and attempted to move it down for final fitting, and found something in the receiver seems to be super tight.  I know its supposed to be "a little tight" so it doesnt move around, but this is so tight its squeezing the receiver so much that the rails, which the bolt slid on normally before installation of the selector are now too tight to let the bolt slide.  I dont understand. Any ideas?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I am trying to picture how the installation of the selector lever could squeeze the receiver.  The selector lever is only actually attached to the receiver on one side and slipped into a hole on the other.  Is the tab on the selector hitting the disconnector?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Is the selector not seated in the hole on the left side of the receiver? This would cause it to bind against the disconnector also.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you need to fit the rails.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#4]
At this point i've pulled the G2 TG out, because stupid me bought a double hook and my receiver is cut for a single hook, dremel time.  So theres no disconnector to bind on.  Theres a thick embossed point the the disconnector is catching on below the hole,  think that might be it,but i dont understand why its seemingly squeezing the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a picture would help me see what is going on.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
will post pics @ 3:30 when I get home

From ORF's Receiver ad:

The one i have is the bottom one.

See the embossment on the bottom receiver's selector hole?  That seems to be binding the lever up.  I think the lever is pressing that side of he receiver inward.  Is it ok  to file down the selector lever where it meets that hump? Or should I go for the rails?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I take it you are building a Yugo kit. 7.62x39? These were made on 1.6mm receivers. I know that
is the thickness of the DCI receivers, and the grove in the selector is made to fit it. If your receiver is 1.6mm it does not need the embossing. that would usually be on a 1mm receiver to snug up the selector to the receiver. If your receiver is 1.6mm then it should not have the embossing. Your selector will not fit without altering it.  You could try pressing out that embossment if it is 1.6mm.  2 flat peices of steel and a C clamp may do the trick.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A simple thing...

You have a G2, right?  OK - put in the selector, and slowly rotate DOWN.  Look at the little tab on the selector that is VERY close to the G2 hammer/disconnector... as you rotate down - do you hit either of these?

If you do?  You need to do what I have done with every AK I own that uses a G2 - mark that little "tab" on the selector for the portion that must be cut out in order to clear the hammer/disconnector.  Remove selector & dremmel out the interference.  You are NOT chopping off the "tab" - you are narrowing the tab in the horizontal direction.

This could catch your Trigger group and pull ALL of it "right" if you force it - effectively "narrowing" your receiver.  But you would have to do a real Gorilla move to do so :)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to all who responded.  Indeed, at first it did take a gorilla move to get the selector on properly.  However, in the end, all it took was a dremel.  I just dremmeled the notch in the selector a bit, and it fit perfectly.  However, I did come to the conclusion that these receivers are cut for single hook triggers, and not double hook.  . More dremel work.  But everything is together now, and seems to be working fine. I'm going to test fire tomorrow.

Oh hey wait, why doesnt the selector stop rotating all the way around?  Is there supposed to be some sort of "selector stop" there? Oh wait whats this extra piece thats NOT riveted to the rifle...damnit.... Oh well. More dremeling =) Range report and pics to come.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you forget to include the selector stop when riveting the triggerguard in?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck with the selector stop installation. And be sure to install it with the little nub sticking out on the same side as the selector switch. Ive seen that little mistake happen as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah....something like that lol.  I dont think I'm going to install it.  I dremeled out the magwell already so mags fit now, I think I'll just epoxy a piece of receiver stub where the stop would be.  First builds are supposed to be century esque right =)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You may want to re-think not installing the selector stop plate. Not only does it keep the selector from rotating all of the way around. It also impacts the height of the mags when they are locked in place. Your mags may sit too high and jam on the bolt without the plate.

I just picked up one of those Vulcan receivers today for an M95 build. Can you tell me is yours mismarked for 7.62X39 and .233 on the bottom when it is supposed to be .223?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
mine is supposed to be 7.62.  I ended up dremeling out the magwell so that mags fit fine, first firing will be tomorrow.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top