Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 7:57:31 PM EDT
Has anyone built on one of these?  What is involved in building the other 20%.  I think the mag dimples are already pressed, but is the mag well already cut?

Also, if I order the thicker steel (.064) , will I have to have my trunions machined?  Or are the interior clearances the same?

www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I emailed coldsteel not too long ago.  Their blanks do not include rails, they must be purchased separately, spot welded,  and all the holes need to be drilled.  You also need to do the heat treating.  I seem to remember from the email that the mag well and trigger holes were not drilled.  I'll pull the email when I get home and edit if needed.

eta:  originally thought the post was about flats
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
]

If you use the thicker blank you will need to make the interior components, like the trunnions, more narrow.

THis is not true for the 80% that you are looking at.

I used a drill press and a dremel and 12 inch caliper. A good template helps things out. You DO NOT have to narrow internal compents because the inside dimension are the same as any blank. You will need to make area's alittle thinner to allow for clearance i.e. selector lever, rail to fit in rear and front trunnions.

Magwell dimples are pressed in, Magwell is not cut out.

Overall the .064 is alot thicker than some the other lowers I have seen. I have not finished my build only because I dont have the means of attaching the lower rails but Im pretty sure that it will get done this weekend by another member here. I could post pictures for you hopefully by next week.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top