Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 2:02:12 PM EDT
How hard is it to build using just a flat. I have seen them with groves cut in them so you dont have need a jig. Are these good to use or no? Should i go with the ones with cuts in them or not? Is there anyone that has done a build using this method that could put in some input.      And where do the rails go? Any information would be great, because i want to start a build after seeing all the different Ak's that have been built.

With cuts

or

without cuts

And how can i post pics?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The flats that you bend by hand (laser cut) need to be welded.

You can buy a 80% prebent receiver and drill you own holes (fcg, safety, mag well, etc..)

Flats you bend have all the holes drilled in them, but you need a flat jig & press.

Hope that helps,
WW
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
dont roll your own flat if this is your first build. it really isnt worth the money you could possibly save by doing it, which is considering you dont ruin the flat the first time which you most likely will (i did and i think most people do). id say go for a 100% first, or if you really wanna do some metal working, one of the 80% pre-bent blanks.

but if you insist on building from a flat:
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts1/index.asp
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
but if you insist on building from a flat:
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts1/index.asp

I agree 100%.  I printed off the soup to nuts (along with a few other) guides, madea binder and used it a million times for reference while building.

caspian
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
if building from a flat, and you dont have a jig, use a dremel a body hammer and an anvil or vise.
otherwise a dremel and drill press for a prebend. Either way its pretty hard to mess either one up, even on your first one. Just dont rush, check out this site it is very helpful for a prebend. http://www.geocities.com/akbuilds just dont hit it up more then once an hour, there are a shit ton of pics and the xfer rate is small so save it to disk if you know how.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If money is not a concern in the build, I would recommend the flat. I was apprehensive at first but have built several AK's on Tapco flats. I am just finishing up a build of Bulgarian sidefolder (ORF kit) on a Tapco flat and it went together just as easy as my other builds. I have built several kits on Ewbanks receivers (fairly easy builds) but still consider the flat build much easier. I bought and modified my pulley puller, spot welder and bolt cutters for the build and borrowed a friend's DPH bending jig. I am still ahead financially because I have bent 10 receivers so far and it would have cost more to purchase 100% receivers.

I will probably bend/spot weld another 10 recievers before I am done.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if building from a flat, and you dont have a jig, use a dremel a body hammer and an anvil or vise...

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont have a welder, but i know a weld shop nearby, how hard would it be for them to get the rails welded on exactly right?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dont have a welder, but i know a weld shop nearby, how hard would it be for them to get the rails welded on exactly right?

shouldn't be too hard. The center support pin holds them in place. You just have to make sure that line up with the front trunion so the bolt carrier runs smoothly.

thanks,
Ron
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top