Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/23/2006 7:47:31 AM EDT
I am in the process of starting my first build, an OOW receiver and a Romanian kit

I picked up the receiver today and made a few casual observations. The opening for the safety lever needs to be enlarged slightly as well as the holes for the trigger group pins.

I am concerned about what I have read about the length of OOW receivers and the need for filing the front of the receiver to get the proper length.

How do I determine this?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
set your trigger guard first then put front trunnion in and insert a mag slide the front trunnion back until it is tight but not really tight check with a couple diffrent mags some vary
you will prob have to file off about a 1/16 or so then maybe some off the back to get the top cover to fit tight
I have used several OOW and dont mind the length issue at all it just makes you work a little harder

BLM
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
the holes are just tight
they dont need to be opend
just tap the pins with the handle of a screw driver

as for the length
on most you will have to file alittle off
but some wont need it
it also allows for some room to move parts to where they fit the best in the rails
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Always the trigger guard first, then position the front trunnion.  The length has been a non-issue for the three times I've used OOW receivers.  Even if it's a tad long, you don't see the front of the receiver because the handguard bumps up to it.  If anything, it helps you get the handguard a little tighter because it takes up the little bit of slack there usually is there.  I have one that has about 1/16 inch or less overhang.  Put the handguard on, never see it.  No biggie.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the informative replies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I am also building up an OOW receiver with a Romy kit, for the first time.    Thanks for the great tips.  I'll post pics when she's done.  I'm parking the receiver this weekend  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
tag, in the same boat
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah ...what has been said is all good advise......one thing I will add is that I set the trigger gaurd and then position the turnnion.....I put a c-clamp on the front of the reciver to find the best position for mag fittment and function. Mine was less than a 16th long so I didnt even bother filing it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top