Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/20/2006 9:57:08 PM EDT
If it is desired to redo an AK build that was originally built with screws, is it necessary to drill out the threads that were tapped before riveting it back together?  If not necessary, would there be any benefit anyway?

If the holes in the receiver were oversized and oblong to get the threaded parts to line up, does it matter much or would it be best to construct a new receiver?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the size of the hole that was drilled and tapped, you may wanna go with a revit that is larger in diameter than normal.  I really didn't bother to remove the threadings prior to converting one of my screw builds over to revits, and don't know of any benefits of removing the threads.  I've found that the revit heads tend to cover up any minor flaws of holes, so if they are a bit oblong, see if the revit head is wide enough to cover it up prior to deciding to constructing a new receiver.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the process of converting one of my first screw builds. Swell neck rivets fit nicely in the front holes. The receiver holes are a tad oversized and the swell necks sit flush. I see no reason to drill out the threads.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#3]
it really makes a diff what size the holes are
you dont need to drill the threads but some people drilled the holes
to a standard size then taped for sae and usally those holes are to big to convert with good results
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I just finished riveting the front trunion. I am very confident in the results. My holes were just threaded, not drilled. Again, the swells on the swell necks filled the receiver holes nicely and fit flush. So who created the first bolt cutter squishers. I would like to pat that person on the back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have started to do rivet builds. My first build was a Polish and I used the screw method and red locktight. I would also like to remove these and install with rivets. Someone said it's a pain to remove these red locktight screws. If so how do I go about removing these without hurting the front trunnion.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Heat will help with red loctite.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Heat will help with red loctite.

Yep...it will let go at about 300 deg.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't try to do this - not that it can't be done... it can.  It's just not worth it to me to take a damaged kit and build it correctly when I can buy an undamaged kit and build it correctly.  Situation could change as kit prices increase - as long as damaged kits (ie, screw builds) are cheaper.

Yes - I know I'm going to get yelled at :)  Buy those things that you consider to be of value, and ignore my opinion if it conflicts with your own :)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Again, I'm confident with the results. The rivets are very snug in the threaded holes. I didn't realize my kits were damaged.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I'll say my favorite AK and my first build was a screw build that I rebuilt with rivets.  It was well worth the time to redo it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top