Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:26:30 AM EDT
www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00964086000

I got a set of these and I keep breaking the bastards just by drilling out rivets.I used alittle bit of PB blast when I drill. Is this not enough?

Such an expensive set...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I just use HSS bits. A lot depends on your technique.
How are you doing it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
When drilling out the rivets, set your drill press on a slow speed and use lots of oil. Also, only do a small amount of drilling, maybe 1/8 of an inch or so, then stop and clear the shavings out of the hole and off the bit. This will also give your bit a chance to cool off for a second or so. Bits dull and break when they get too hot. Go slow and it will work just fine. It doesnt take as long as you might think. Also, start the hole with a small bit, and once you have gone all the way through, then change to a larger bit and widen the hole. You may need to use 3 or 4 bits, depending on what you have available. Try to make the first hole as centered as you can, other wise, when you enlarge the hole in the rivet, you can hit the walls of the trunion.  Drilling out a rivet like I described, I can remove a long one in a few minutes or so.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Patience, Grasshopper, patience. As stated above start small, go slow and increase diameter of bit in increments. Nothing gets a drill bit faster than taking too big of a bite, moving too quickly with too much downforce. Also, the smallest bits go the quickest so if you're going to do a lot of fine work have a couple of spares handy. Don't ask me how I know......
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you using a hand drill????That will do it
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Over the years I have found that
WD-40 makes an excellent cutting fluid.
Not as messy as oil and it really lets a bit cut fast.
Try it and see if you don't agree.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When drilling out the rivets, set your drill press on a slow speed and use lots of oil. Also, only do a small amount of drilling, maybe 1/8 of an inch or so, then stop and clear the shavings out of the hole and off the bit. This will also give your bit a chance to cool off for a second or so. Bits dull and break when they get too hot. Go slow and it will work just fine. It doesnt take as long as you might think. Also, start the hole with a small bit, and once you have gone all the way through, then change to a larger bit and widen the hole. You may need to use 3 or 4 bits, depending on what you have available. Try to make the first hole as centered as you can, other wise, when you enlarge the hole in the rivet, you can hit the walls of the trunion.  Drilling out a rivet like I described, I can remove a long one in a few minutes or so.

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I believe the problem was me drilling too fast and heating up the bit. I bought a cheap set of HF bits just for practice and they seem to work well when I go slow and keep it cool/lubed. h.gif  Not bad for 7 bucks and it won't hurt my feelings if I break them! Well, maybe me. I wear a paintball mask when I drill/press!

I forgot to mention earlier that I broke one of those cobalt bits trying to drill a hole into my receiver so I can spot mig weld my rails. (Yep, i was using a hand drill... my drill press vise broke in half while trying to press the barrel pin out. Gotta love China! Most of the bit I broke was used on a drill press btw.) The second time around I noticed that I was drilling into a heat treated section. That heat treating really does make sheet metal strong! No problems on the non heat treated side. ;)

thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#9]
go buy some hf tit bits
118 deg they sell 2 sets the other dosnt work well for building aks 110 deg?

drill slow and place a block of wood under your part no vise (unless your drilling a fixed stock tang)

you can use almost anythang to keep your bits cool
if you have nothang else use cooking oil

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top