Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:14:49 PM EDT
hi all,
havent built one in about 3 years, decided to get back into it with the good selection of cheap kits and the rivet squeezer technique well known figured i couldnt go wrong.
got the matching romy kit with gt receiver, g2 fcg, rivets and polish uf stock off the ee for 225.00 shipped.(thanks LIONHEART)
another 15.00 on hf bolt cutters and 3.50 on semi gloss krylon and presto! low budget underfolder
and shoots great.
took about 10 hrs and puttin up with alot of "you ever gonna get that shit off the table" from the wife, but it was worth it,laying out the uf holes took the longest.
here it is.
looks and shoots just like the kassnar imported feg i paid 1,500.00 dollars for about 5 years ago.
really appreciate all the great advice from this site, couldnt have done it without ya.
thanks,corey

laying out the rear trunion.

after squeezing the first couple rivets.

letting it dry.

after putting it all together.

after 60 flawless rounds of wolf.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful job--now tell us all the secret for getting the holes for the u/f stock in the perfect spot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Beautiful job--now tell us all the secret for getting the holes for the u/f stock in the perfect spot.

It's really not difficult at all.  Just use the rear trunnion as a template for the holes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
how?

I'm thinking hold the rear trunnion on the outside and clamp it to the receiver while you trace with a sharpie or even give it a quick spritz of spray paint.  

good idea?

That's as far as those rivets mush?  

The bolt cutter can get far enough in there?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellant job Gator!!! I like it!!! How did it shoot?

Sorry for the Hijack to help out Tyler, hope you don't mind too much.

Quoted:

Tools thread

ETA: I made a template from steel, parallel to the back and top of the trunion.
Making it from metal gave me the abillity to re-use it.
It took a good bit of time to lay it out, check, recheck, recheck again and drill, making the holes undersized to allow for any error or slippage during drilling. Sized the holes up with a diamond bit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice--thanks for the tips.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]

delmarksman and all,
it shoots great...had to take about a 16th off each carrier rail to get it smooth and not binding but its slick now.
actually the uf holes were the easiest but took the longest i used the trunion for a template on the outside with a clamp and marked it with a sharpie then underdrilled and used a sand disc on my dremel to bring it out to the right size hole with the trunion in place.
front trunion i used the receiver pc's from the kit and cut em in half ,marked with a sharpie and drilled.
btw, these global receivers are hard! had good luck with this one.
here's another pic of the finished rear trunion, i squished the rivets to about the same as factory romy from comparing the kit.

here's a pic of the cutters i modified to reach the lower uf rivets , the little formed head piece on them in the pic is just electrical taped to the off side so it want misform the head.

take care,
corey
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
You took 1/16th off of each carrier rail?  I think I need to do the same but I don't uderstand where you took the material away.

Did you file along the tops of the rails to reduce their overall height by 1/16 of an inch or did you file the inside edges and open up the distance between them on the inside?  

ETA:  Did you add the Full Auto position detent yourself or did you just draw it on there while playing around?  I see it on the park'd receiver but nowhere else...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks vagunnut-proud of this one ...it actually works!!

josephr,
i took the material off the rails to open up the inside width, this receiver was "tight", used my wifes metal nail file and ran the length of the rail on each side a couple times and then would check by putting the carrier in until it was still a little tight and finished off with 1500 grit paper wrapped in a piece of small wood.(i didnt do any rail fitting till all trunions and stuff were riveted ).

btw the notch is there its just covered in some high grade krylon, was gonna mark it "S R A "
but ran outta patience.
corey
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top