Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:05:30 AM EDT
I've been a darkside member for about a month now after being a G3/HK91 guy for quite a few years.  I've built a few G3 clones and thought I'd try something interesting.  My least favorite part of my MAK90 is the open sight system.  I wanted to make a pseudo-HK/Galil by Tig welding an HK rear sight onto the dust cover while completely removing the MAK's rear sight.  The front sight might work okay with the HK rear sight as is, but I like the visibility of the HK front sight.  I had two ideas for this:  1)shave down the front sight flat and weld an HK91 sight on top(the top 1/3 of the HK91 triple frame); or 2)weld the top 1/2 of the HK triple frame directly onto the gas block(while still shaving the top of the original sight off).  I like the looks of the second method, and the triple frame will fit nicely since the open hole of the middle portion is approximately the same diameter as the top of the MAK's gas block.  Both methods will allow proper sighting of the rifle; however, I would hesitate on the second method since I don't know about the metallurgy of the gas block.  Is this hardened steel, and would welding on it anneal it?  Just trying to avoid the schrapnel.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Rich
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Guys chop and weld their front sights to the gas block all the time.
No problems reported.
That said,I would get on and off quickly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
i hane TIG welded AK gas blocks before - I used er70s2 and s6 - no probs !!!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good.  Thanks for the help!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top