Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 10:35:12 PM EDT
If I bead blast my Tapco receiver before I use the Birchwood-Casey cold blue, will  it give a matte finish?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't tell me you have a blast cabinet too. Now I really have to come over.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. But, Im not tryin to bash what you are gonna do, but I would use a better cold blue than Birchwood Casey. It wasnt very dark for me. Brownells makes a very nice cold blue. I think its called Oxpho Blue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes. But, Im not tryin to bash what you are gonna do, but I would use a better cold blue than Birchwood Casey. It wasnt very dark for me. Brownells makes a very nice cold blue. I think its called Oxpho Blue.

Well, I just finished and have to say that I was impressed. I had to apply and wash about 20 times but it came out really nice. I am going to pick up some of the stuff from Brownells for the next couple of AK's that I have to finish.

I was worried that it wasn't going to work but I kept scrubbing with steel wool between coats and kept at until I finally got the black that I was looking for.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried the stuff from Birchwood Casey and it seemed like a pain in the ass compared to the stuff you get from Brownells. Stuff from Brownells, heat your oven to 100 to 150, put the gun in, wipe the stuff on and instantly wipe it off Put it back in the oven and repeat a few times, then steel wool it. I was more impressed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I tried the stuff from Birchwood Casey and it seemed like a pain in the ass compared to the stuff you get from Brownells. Stuff from Brownells, heat your oven to 100 to 150, put the gun in, wipe the stuff on and instantly wipe it off Put it back in the oven and repeat a few times, then steel wool it. I was more impressed.

No washing in cold water .... also, how many times did you have to do that to get a dark blue that would match an AK?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Photos?
I would like to see it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you use sand or glass bead for your blasting media?  All I have is silica sand here, and I'm afraid it will leave the finish too rough.  I have done small parts in the past with good results.
Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Photos?
I would like to see it.

I wish I could but I think the power supply in my PC went out and I can't load any photos

Did you use sand or glass bead for your blasting media? All I have is silica sand here, and I'm afraid it will leave the finish too rough. I have done small parts in the past with good results.
Thanks,
Tom

I used the 70 grit oxide sand from Harbro Freight. It came out just a little too fine though. The finish looks almost exactly like one of my Norincos. I was looking for the matte finish that you see on pistols.

It did make a HUGE difference over a non-abrased Tapco receiver though. The first receiver I did came out with a blue mirror finish like a fine pistol.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Here are pics. I blued the receivers before I built these. They got worn during the build but that was what I was kinda looking for. But, the one on the bottom I blued it again after I built it so its much darker and what I want. I need to blue the one on the top again.

Here is the link for the stuff I used. But it was because I could get it locally.
Formula 44/40

Here is the stuff that I would recoment over the 44/40. It is what I wanted to use but the 44/40 works just as well. But I think this stuff would give a darker finish yet and be a lil more durable.
Oxpho-Blue
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top