Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 12:30:52 PM EDT
Would there be any problem with tig welding the trunion to the receiver?  How much weld should there be? I plan on drilling three 1/8" holes  on each side, welding them up and grinding flush.  Would drive screws be better?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The only problems I see, (no expert) is dis-similar metals can cause problems in getting a good weld. And if the trunion is heat treated the welding will ruin the temper (Rc).
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I tig'd a build and caught nothin but flak. It worked well, and tig welding does not raise the temp of the trunnion enough to damage it. just make sure your trunnion is in striaght before welding. you will get told by others that you destroyed your trunnion. just shoot it and enjoy it. it doesn't matter how an AK gets to the finish line ...as long as it gets there!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I drilled 3/16in holes to plug weld...No issues what so ever.....Thousands of rounds and nothing unusal....no stretching or loseness.....
But 'gunwolf' is right .......I too got  flak from other Ak builders but not as much as I did with the  screw build........but I trust  TIG welds more than any screw or rivet but rivets just look right and a screw job looks half assed....and weld.....Depends who is looking....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, don't worry.  If you do anything out of the ordinary there will be guys here to berate you, no matter how well your idea works.  Actually this place isn't as bad as some others.  But I will recommend that if you want answers from real innovators in the AK building arena that you go over to gunco.net and ask your question there.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top