BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:19:58 PM EDT
i plan to buy a jig and some tapco flats
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a 12 ton press on mine last night. First one I have ever done and it looks great!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I used a 12 ton press on mine last night. First one I have ever done and it looks great!

Whose jig did you use?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You can.  My jig came with an additional flat piece for the old hammer method.  I am going to hammer my first next week.  Haven't coughed up the cash for a press yet.  Going to see how the hammer works first.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried a hammer with a homemade jig:

and came out with this:

and this:

I think I need to add another bar to the top bar to help keep it parallel.  I'm still working on trying to bend the top rails.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I use large c-clamps with my jig
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried using 3 C clamps.  It sort of worked, but then the one side tilted and I got the lopsided shell.

I'm thinking of getting a piece of hardwood, shaping it into the correct inner dimensions of a receiver, and using it to pound the shell into shape and bend the top rails.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't need a jig to bend a flat.  All you need is two pieces of 1.25' wide flat stock, a few bolts, a hammer, vice.  Yes is does work.  It just takes more time than using a press.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a long 2 x 4 and place it agaisnt the flat IN THE JIG (the JIG in a vice) long side and try to bend it as far as you can with both hands one on each end of the 2x4.   Then use a hammer to bend it the rest of the way up to 90 degrees striking the wood with the hammer and imparting the bending force through the wood.  To make the edges square then use the hammer on a short piece of wood or a squared metal block striking the wood or block right at the edge.  Otherwise every time you hit the receiver with the hammer directly, its one more small dent you have to fix later.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
i was thinking last night before falling asleep that maybee i can use a hydrolic car jack somehow to press the flat. after all thats waht a press is anyways.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i was thinking last night before falling asleep that maybee i can use a hydrolic car jack somehow to press the flat. after all thats waht a press is anyways.

I actually tried thatlifted my whole van off the groundbut eventually came down...and the flat looked great!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whose jig did you use?

I used the DPH jig. Worked great with my Harbor Frieght 100 buck press.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top