Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:13:03 PM EDT
I just bent my first receiver last night and am getting ready to heat treat. Here's my question; can you use a propane torch for this or does it not get hot enough? I don't have an acetylene or mapp gas torch and may need to use an alternative. Any help would be great, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on people, I looked and five people have read this post already but no ones responded, lets see if you guys really know what your talking about or just blowing hot air, haha just trying to get a response. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
robruger1, you can use the propane.  Just do it over the quench so's you can just let gravity take it right to the bath without wasting any heat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I talked with the metalurgest at work. he did a hardness test of the rails i hardened and he advised that i do not temper them in anything over than 500 degrees for only 1/2 hour.  Might be the metal my flats were made from, or possibly my heat treating but i used a torch and had them very bright before giving them a fast dunk in ice water.
 The good news is 500 degrees is home oven temps!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
tagged, because I plan on using propane torch
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top