Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:10:37 PM EDT
O.K...just got in today my standred press pin milled receiver from the firingline in oklahoma..
If you never seen one...You have no idea
It will be used for a russian P-kit type III dated 1953 all matching numbers a very clean Bore almost looks new and laminated wood!!
My question is...Should I
A...Blue the rifle
B...Norrell's Flat BLACK
C...Norrell's GLOSSY BLACK - Very Glossy black that looks like an expensive black "blue-job" wet with oil.
Or  Dupli coat Hi-TEMP
For you suckers that bit...I would never Hi-Temp a classic
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any photos of your kit?  I've never seen a Russian Type 3 kit that had a date stamp. Usually only see that on Type 2 kits.  I'd love to see it.

What is the current finish on the parts?  That will affect my vote.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted blue, but really it matters on the condition of your kit.  If it's a painted over blue kit, go w/Gunkote.  Otherwise, if it's blue, go blue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with blue , as IMO , if you spent all that $$ on the kit & receiver , and it has the collectability factor , YA MIGHT AS WELL DO IT UP THE CORRECT WAY !!---

is the F.L. receiver the new style one , with the moved eagle , and cyrillic selector marks ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortuanatly  no its not...
But I got a friend who is a TIG welder  and I am kicking around the idea of TIG'n the eagle and the selector marks off so I can have Commie marks installed and then sand,grind and re-sand blast for final clean-up......
Still undecided...
"A real Professional welder and not somebody who bought a welder & thinks it makes them a welder"
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If its a 1953, its a T2.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
i vote park and gloss black gk
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
UXO2 :  if the welder covers the eagle - ( if it were mine i would want it covered aswell)-you have to consider that blueing might be discolored in the area where the weld is -  the harder weld metal will show up "darker" than the surrounding blue --  it still would look good though !!!!

PLEASE , I BEGG OF YOU , post some pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
where do you even get a milled russian kit from, cuz i never even seen one for sale anywhere?  oh and id blue it, that would diffently be a beauty
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
where do you even get a milled russian kit from, cuz i never even seen one for sale anywhere?  oh and id blue it, that would diffently be a beauty

They were on the market here & there until about 9 mo. ago ,  i did not buy any of these when they were first offered , as i was still in school & broke ,  they are darn cool pieces of history !
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I will post some pics if I can fiqure out how?????
I was thinking blue too....But I whish I had some pics of that Norrells Glossy black...It has a tinge of blue in brite light/sun......
As for where I got the kit...I got it from a gunshow.... about a 1yr 1/2 ago....I fingerfucked 5 sets before finding this one..Seller did'nt care to much as long as I did'nt mix up the kits...
I do have another kit that I am un-decided as to what to do with....
Got it from Sportsmans guide.......Mismatched numbers... Wood was garbage and I bought a walnut set for it..
It has a recessed crown about an inch from the muzzel like the Mosin-Nagants..Chrome lined..I did'nt notice this till it was to late.....Cosmolie and I'll do it later boned me...
Heavey throat wear but the muzzle apprears clean enough to pass the bullet test..
It just has the bolt//bolt carrier//barrel assembly///dust cover and trigger group///and reciver remnants..The important things you need for a rifle
Now if some one could walk me thru the how to post a pic...I will
Thanks for you time and Opinions guys....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a russian kit -w a counterboared muzzle to-  i wonder why they did this , as i hear it is purty common on these ? ,  i always wanted one nice "safe queen" one & one "battlefield" looking one - that i could bumpfire & not feel like i was trashing it foolishly - maybe i will make this one my bumpin russin !!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The best looking AK I've ever seen was finished with a deep, dark blue.

It was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But I got a friend who is a TIG welder  and I am kicking around the idea of TIG'n the eagle and the selector marks off so I can have Commie marks installed and then sand,grind and re-sand blast for final clean-up......
Still undecided...

The same idea occured to me as well uxo, I called the Firing Line (I am here in OK where they are located) to inquire about building my recently acquired Russian kit. I too didn't want the eagle. I was told that the insignia was mandated by the ATF as all manufacturers had to place one on their firearm (ala colt horse, bushmaster snake, etc) in order to make them readily identifiable. I realize that older guns don't have this, but most modern firearms do. I was also told that it is essentially integral to the Serial Number (S/N), and we all know what kind of trouble you can get into for defacing a S/N on a firearm : ( So I might hold off!!! As for your rewelding idea, I considered that as well. Legally you would be manufacturing a new reciever/firearm, if you preserved the Firing Lines S/N's and eagle it would be a legal modification, but if you preserved the original S/N's then you would have two SN's , one on the receiver portions and one on the front receiver tab (on these milled rcvrs it is on the front where the "trunnion would be on a stamped). As far as I know the recvr (which constitutes the firearm) can have only one S/N. Obviously I have guns with S/N's on the trunnion , but they are not on the rcvr. That said I don't know where you would fall in the gray area.

As for the finish, I would preserve the original blueing if possible, blue the receiver and then scuff it up to match the rest of the gun. It is a 1950's era rifle and it would be neat for it to look like one : ) At the risk getting flamed due to posting another boards url here is a link to one done in such a fashion;

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2486903#post2486903

I am definately going to keep the original blue (even though mine is partially worn away) and reblue the receiver only. Most authentic build I can manage with an 20% butchered gun.
Just a thought : )

If you don't like that idea, my vote is for BLUE!!! Old guns don't look good in paint : )
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info on leaving the CHICKEN Logo alone that FL so proudly displays....Somethings are just better left alone...
That link left me speechless...The rifle parts I have,,have been parkerized and about 80% of the finish is gone.....
The wood is already cleaned and ready for staining..I'm going to use Jeepcreeps Red Stain Formula....
Definetly a deep blue maybe a royal blue....Like somethingon a Colt Python or a Korth...

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info on leaving the CHICKEN Logo alone The wood is already cleaned and ready for staining..I'm going to use Jeepcreeps Red Stain Formula....
Definetly a deep blue maybe a royal blue....Like somethingon a Colt Python or a Korth...

Yeah, I pretty much hate that thing too : ( I will have to learn to live with it as I am doing a Firing Line build too. The simple fact that they offer the receiver in itself is a blessing, I am sure there is not tons of demand to offset costs for tooling up for such a thing! As for the staining the stocks red, that will be SWEET!!!!! I would research the blue the Commies used, I have heard some term of "salt blue",,,,sort of a really dark black blue??? Anyone have any ideas about that one?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info on leaving the CHICKEN Logo alone The wood is already cleaned and ready for staining..I'm going to use Jeepcreeps Red Stain Formula....

Yeah, I pretty much hate that thing too : ( I will have to learn to live with it as I am doing a Firing Line build too. The simple fact that they offer the receiver in itself is a blessing, I am sure there is not tons of demand to offset costs for tooling up for such a thing! As for the staining the stocks red, that will be SWEET!!!!! I would research the blue the Commies used, I have heard some term of "salt blue",,,,sort of a really dark black blue??? Anyone have any ideas about that one?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Since your already considering Norrell's MolyResin in Flat or Gloss black, you might think about the semi-gloss black they make.

Man, why can't FL just come up with some small eagle logo (if they have to have the logo on the receiver) and move it to the bottom???  It just doesn't make any sense to me but hey, what can you do?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top