Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:20:15 PM EDT
O.k. I am using a tapco flat that bent up real nice. I ground the upper rails to fit the front trunnion in. When i slide the trunnion in, the only pre-drilled hole for the front trunnion only lines up if there is about a .040 overhang of the reciever  (reciever longer than trunnion, trunnion front not flush with  front end of reciever)  Here is a picture. My question is this.....   do i egg the existing hole in the flat to make the trunnion and reciver flush in front, or do i grind the overhanging part of the reciever off.  I would like to grind off the extra reciever because i am not fond of egged rivet holes but i am worried that this may cause some Mag or feed problems.  So what is the best thing to do??http://home.wi.rr.com/schmalts/index.html/AK.jpg
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience with Tapco flats the trunnion sits too far back if you use the existing holes.  I have used the existing holes as-is on a couple past builds and I ended opening up the back of the mag well to get my mags to lock up.  So what I am saying is that where the trunnion sits is relative to where your mag release is.  A lot of guys start their builds by attaching the trigger guard and mag release then locating the trunnion according to the mag release.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Trigger guard/mag catch first, fit front trunion with a mag IN PLACE.
Then fit rear trunion with top cover IN PLACE.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
here is my other thought on this. Has anyone welded up the rear holes in the trunnion, and then lined it up in the reciver where it needs to be, and drilled both the reciever and trunnion all at one time to eliminate misaligned holes and egging?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
O.k. I am using a tapco flat that bent up real nice. I ground the upper rails to fit the front trunnion in. When i slide the trunnion in, the only pre-drilled hole for the front trunnion only lines up if there is about a .040 overhang of the reciever  (reciever longer than trunnion, trunnion front not flush with  front end of reciever)   So what is the best thing to do??home.wi.rr.com/schmalts/index.html/AK.jpg

Quoted:
A lot of guys start their builds by attaching the trigger guard and mag release then locating the trunnion according to the mag release.

That's what most people do.

Then later, you can grind the front of the receiver flush with the trunnion. Make sure that you get the angle correct so that the lower handguard fits nicely.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet. thanks for all the info. I riveted in the trigger guard and test fit the trunnion with the existing hole and the mag fits real nice so it looks like i lucked out and will gring the overhanging receiver off when the trunnion is riveted in fully.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top