Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 2:46:19 PM EDT
Hey guys, this should work correct? who has done it before?

Buy a stamped receiver then weld it right onto the milled reciever parts of the yugo. after shortening etc to make sure perfect length etc.

shouldnt it work? I know this is probably horrifying to some of you guys. but seriously it should work shouldnt it? as long as all was square. and then it would be set up.

Any one have a post possibly of someone doing this before possibly? im sure im not the first to think of this.

everything should match up correct?

Also, i can do this with a Stamped receiver also, i was eyeing it up and you should just need to shorten the new receiver and make the cuts clean and weld it up.

Am I missing something?

Also, anyone know of a place to buy a yugoslavian ak 47 manual? m70 or whatever they are called.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
it will work, but you will wind up with a crappy AK ...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
How would it be crappy? shouldnt be very noticeable once you file down etc? anyone actually done this?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I really think what patm41 means is that you would have a hack-job AK.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
ok im seriously going to go off on someone, just because hes creativly thinking outside of the box instead of using some hack job bolt cutters and rivets doesnt mean that hes going to have a bad ak. im building 5 this weekend in my buddys machine shop and i plan on welding everything! theyre 5 milled yugo underfolders and im sure that theyre going to turn out fine, actually the receiver will be twice as thick as a normal stamped kit and the welds will be 10 times stronger than rivets and since theyres more contact surface the rear receiver wont split at the rivet holes after 50,000-100,000 rounds.  my buddy that im doing the build with welded one 6 months ago its build like a rock. Dont let these guys scare you. It wont be an origional all numbers matching low serial #, never fired collectors commerative edition "1 of 500" ak but no homebuilt is. If your building for quality and durability then go with welds, if you want an authentic piece of crap look then go with rivets, screws, ect. ect.!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
its still a hack job  no matter how you sugar coat it..  

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I guess one could consider anything thats welded together as a "hack job".I, on the other hand,  don't see it that way.If that is made out of a weld pack, I bet that fcker is a tank.. I admire  the guys metal working ability.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
yea, it does look pretty nice.

Got a question.

what are you using for a reciver hkusp?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ok im seriously going to go off on someone, just because hes creativly thinking outside of the box instead of using some hack job bolt cutters and rivets doesnt mean that hes going to have a bad ak. im building 5 this weekend in my buddys machine shop and i plan on welding everything! theyre 5 milled yugo underfolders and im sure that theyre going to turn out fine, actually the receiver will be twice as thick as a normal stamped kit and the welds will be 10 times stronger than rivets and since theyres more contact surface the rear receiver wont split at the rivet holes after 50,000-100,000 rounds.  my buddy that im doing the build with welded one 6 months ago its build like a rock. Dont let these guys scare you. It wont be an origional all numbers matching low serial #, never fired collectors commerative edition "1 of 500" ak but no homebuilt is. If your building for quality and durability then go with welds, if you want an authentic piece of crap look then go with rivets, screws, ect. ect.!

Damn man, don't get all upset just because somebody doesn't like a certain idea that is different.  There are a lot of guys here and on other boards that are very intolerant of new ideas.  I caught a lot of shit on another board when I posted my "drive screw build".  I was called an idiot and a fool for building with anything other than rivets.  We owe a great debt to the guys who thought outside the box.  If it weren't for guys thinking creatively we would still not be able to bend our own flats and squeeze our own rivets cheaply and effectively.

Just a few points about your post:

1.  Capitalization is your friend.
2.  Two spaces after a period make your post easier to follow.
3.  There is no need to talk shitty to the "naysayers", they love the fact that you are getting pissed off.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
How thick is the metal used to bridge the reciever sections? I like the look of the milled much more than the stamped. Hack job Shmack Job. This is great.

Milled kits are quite a bit cheaper as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#12]
i HAVE DONE IT WITH 4130 aircraft plate that is 5/32" thich - you will have to grind , or mill internal left side F.C.G. area to approx. .080 thick , - to get E-clips to slip on ham. & trig. pins--  I use TIG , to do the deed - but i could probally use a MIG as well .  this is alot of work - 11+ solid hours- if U want it to turn out nice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#13]
how did you know the exact length you needed for the metal you used for the receiver?

I have that exact same size metal that i bought last year.

if I knew the correct length the receiver was supposed to be, i would be doing the same thing you did, instead of buying the receiver itself and just chopping it to make it fit for my first one, so i have all the holes etc perfect.

thanks,
Al
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]
It is not nesassary to have a complete receiver , or even blueprints - after U weld the prefabricated side plates on to the demilled receiver stub - U - use the top cover from the kit to give U the correct dimension for length - you make sideplates oversize in length and then trim them using back cut demilled yugo receiver section as a template - make this .015-.025 -fifteen thousands of inch longer & with weld shrinkage - your top cover will fit on perfectly!!  as far as the holes in the receiver - I drill all new holes in the receiver you have to make yourself a drilling jig with the trigger & hammer holes positioned in it for accurate hole drilling , and make a seperate one for drilling the safety lever hole ,  this is a lot of work !- GOOD luck !
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess one could consider anything thats welded together as a "hack job".I, on the other hand,  don't see it that way.If that is made out of a weld pack, I bet that fcker is a tank.. I admire  the guys metal working ability.

thanks Rev. Jim ,  i built it out of 5/32 4130 aircraft plate , thinned to approx..080 in rear section on inside - so i could get E-clips to fit on hamm& trigg. pins
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top