Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:17:51 PM EDT
My quandary:  A friend of mine built me a Yugo AK-47 with a parts kit and US made receiver that I purchased, along with all the necessary US parts.  He is an attorney and huge firearms enthusiast.

My problem is that I'm not sure exactly how much I trust his work.  Looks great and he claims that the no-go headspace gauge didn't go and that the go gauge fit just right.  

So my question is this:  what is the worst that can happen if the headspace is incorrect or if there is another malfunction due to his assembly?  Kaboom?  Should I worry about loosing fingers?

This is my first AK, although I own 5 ARs.  I can strip an AR in my sleep, but have NO experience with AKs.

Thanks for your time,
Papagallo

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the tried a true DARKSIDE TESTING METHOD..

Let a buddy shoot it first!! hehehe, No just kidding.

Lash the rifle to a tree, load the mag with about 5 or so rounds..

Tie a long string to the trigger, and get back several yards, preferablly behind cover..

Fire all the shots with the string..

If the gun no KABOOM, inspect the empty casings for signs of overpressure..

If everthing seems OK you are good to go..

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Use the tape trick that is talked about in this thread.  It may not be the best way to headspace a rifle, but it will tell you if he came close.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The BUILDER should always fire the first three rounds.  Makes no difference if its you or someone else.  Anyone that does not have the balls to fire what he (or she - sorry about the balls) builds is to be avoided.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top