Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 6:55:35 AM EDT
Hello all. I just purchased a parts kit from AIM Surplus. I'm considering a 1.6mm receiver. Now, I know that you have to machine the trunnion down by about .6mm for the build. My question is this. If I machine down the trunnion, will it adversely affect anything? I mean, will it weaken it to the point that accuracy or durability is an issue? This kit will be my entry into the Ak variant world.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No issues !!!!!Arsenal/Global can narrow the trunnions for 12 bucks each.
They have a fairly quick turn around time...
But if you could get a 1mm???It will be ALOT easier.
I have had both Global 1.6mm and 1mm recivers and prefer the 1mm's for ease of assembly and to tell you the truth,I really didn't notice a differance as to quality or stiffness of the 1.6 compared to the 1mm's when assembled..
But I do notice the differance when it comes to a milled reciver and a stamped receiver.
As for reciver manufatures...I have used Aresnal very clean installation,OOW  selector hole being off a small hassle nothing a dremal can fix..Had to grind the selector fro proper engagement of the trigger and Eubanks..I don't like pre drilled holes but no other complant about them.
IMHO
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 can't say enough about 1.6 recievers. it's worth getting the trunnion machined.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
removed
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
if you use thicker metal and you dont bring in the sides nothang fits
IE top cover fcg pins

if you remove the metal from the sides of the rec you make it weak in that spot
and you would have been better off going with 1mm with no weak links

kc while the 1.6 is prolly 1 of my fav rec's
its not really for first time builders
you should go with an oow or a global
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top