Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:43:48 PM EDT
Well, I looked for this modification and couldn't find it anywhere so I thought I would share it here. I ground off the lower tong angle making sure that I kept the length as long as possible. I didn't just cut off the whole angled end.

I did all this work with both trunions installed but the trigger guard was not installed. I don't know if the trigger guard would have made a difference but it appears that the lower tong modification would have cleared.

Once I got it to look like the flattened lower tong, this is where I did something different than what I could find. I purchased .25 copper welding tips that are threaded. I drilled the lower tong and then tapped the lower tong to accept the copper tip. Once I screwed the tip in all the way, I then got a dremel cutting wheel and trimmed the welding tip so it could fit into the receiver. The lower tong with the tip fit easily into the receiver.

I went ahead and ground the upper tong tip to match the diameter of the welding tip and spot welded the rails into place.

I didn't think it could be that easy.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#1]
www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2061

Here you go ... at least one version
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the only problem with the otherdesign is that the lower contact point is still to tall to fit into a receiver with the front and rear trunions already installed? The way that I modified the lower tongs, I was able to spot weld with the trunionns and center support installed.

thanks,
Ron

Here are what the contact tips look like...

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got my spot welder today I cut and milled a flat spot in my lower tang, and went looking for a shorter copper tip. nobody local had anything, but they did have tons of those tips! I'll be goin' in the morning to get some. thanks for your convenient post
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice idea!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I just cut off the bend and drilled & tapped the rod for a brass screw.   Then I shaped the brass scree into a point.  Works great.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top