Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/2/2006 8:45:36 AM EDT
I have ran out of my lauer weaponery degreaser and need to find an alternative, will simple green do a good job?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, it works. So does Brake Cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
doesnt brake cleaner leave a residue?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
doesnt brake cleaner leave a residue?

shouldn't, the white you see is the metal with all the oil stripped off
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
so which is better, simple green or brake cleaner?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
brake cleaner is better but you don't want to use it indoors. Nothing wrong with simple green other than it takes a little longer and eats aluminium but you can use it without worrying about fumes and sucking oil out of your hands.
some brake cleaners eat plastic and strip the finish off wood but there are plastic safe formulations out there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
another great degreaser is trisodium phosphate ( TSP)....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're using this as a pre-finish degreaser, a cleaner with "TCE" (Tri-Chloro-Ethylene I think) will be far superior to simple green. Simple Green is an excellent degreaser for general firearms maintenance and cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#9]
i use "greased lightning"...works pretty good..
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top