Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:52:01 PM EDT
O.K., a question for you seasoned hands out there, I've now (finally) actually bent a receiver,  and am in the process of bending over the top rails.
My question is simple, "How in the heck do you get a smooth top rail surface?"
I've been "gently" tapping the rails FOREVER! and I still get a series of ripples across the surface .
I would think that after a while I would eventually beat the top surface smooth and in some compliance with the supported bottom surface, which is positioned by the form.
Is it just a matter of hammering away until I iron out the ripples?
Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
i've read in a few places to try using the flat side of a chisel (or comprable metal object), place it over the rail and hammer that. itll even out the force and there shouldn't be any of the little ripples.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to AK-Builder.com and watch his video.  Even if you do not have his bender and rail bender you can get the Idea.  Use a long steel bar to bend it all at once, while it is still in the bend fixture.  Good luck!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top