Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/31/2006 10:38:18 AM EDT
My friend lent me his portable-(looks like scuba tanks) oxy-acetyline welding torch- and before i fire it up -  i thought i would ask the pros - what i should do -and what to look for - color wise when i heat up the metal ? , and is there a simple test -(scratch , maybe)- that i can do - to see if i got the metal hard enough ?       Thanks All !
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Check this thread.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
be careful with the Oxy set-up.  it's a hot rig and you could risk burning a hole through the receiver.  if you're careful, you'll be fine.

you're best bet is to do a search on this site and a few others. you'll find some very thorough tutorials.  my limited evperience won't do justice to the topic.

regards,
caspian
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used a oxygen/propane rig for all my builds and it works fine. Just watch your heat colors as you temper anf you will be fine!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
So do you guys use just the straight MAPP gas or do you use the combination MAPP and Oxy setups?

I am cheap and cant afford to spend a dime more, mu wife os going to kill me.

OMP

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Mapp should get it hot enough i would think. and for the first time a cooler flame will keep things from getting too hot too fast and ruin the thing. .040 sheet metal can get color fast with anything hotter than mapp.   I have an Oxy/acetyl setup but i will use my jewlers torch for this first one i will be doing . Its a tiny concentrated  flame with a lot of control
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
MAPP works great for us cheap bastards.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I harded 6 ejectors and 4 hammer and trigger pin holes with MAPP gas this past weekend.  It didn't take it long at all to get it up to temp.  I imagine Oxy-acetalyne could get out of  control fast.  FWIW I have plenty of MAPP gas left.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Official hyjacker here.   So you guys are just usin straight map gas, no oxy right?

OMP

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a propane torch. I have read post where people use those and are happy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, they're using the straight mapp gas setup. Usually the MAPP welding set that u can get at HD for like 40 bucks. Tank plus nozzle.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top