Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2006 3:28:28 PM EDT
Hey Guys, was sitting around kinda bored and decided to share my latest abomination of a project.

Not so long ago i purchased a "chopped" ak74 barrel in the 5.45x39 cal. Watching the EE and spending my (very short supply) cash as wise as i could.

First i cut the barrel using my chop saw  to the proper length i needed. Then attempted a re-crown the barrel. Which worked out "OK". Next i rigged up a fixture with ball bearing with a wooden dowl through it and inserted the wooden dowl into the chamber of the stripped/cut barrel and used my Dewalt cordless to turn the barrel and run it back and forth against my bench grinder to try to turn the barrel down. It worked great! i got a even turn and was able to pull off the diameter i needed to put on the Hinge block and FSB/Gas block combo (snug). Its not as pretty as it could be but it works

I'm getting ready to turn another barrel and this time i will take pictures of the process if i decide to do it the same way. I now have access to a lathe but dont have the experience so i have a small delema.

Some of the parts i used where not "brand new" and have some nics and dings but i'll sand those out and plan on refinishing the whole thing using 2 part Epoxy black primer.  I just thought i would share the picture and vision i have right now. Thanks for reading and i'll try to keep the post updated for anyone who is interested. - Zap

PS!! I am desperate for a synthetic lower handgaurd for this thing. Anyone who could help out i would be deaply indebted to.

The items are mocked up and are not pinned or otherwise at this time. Its just all layed out to veiw.

keep in mind i have less than 300.00 into this project so far. Not too bad concidering.

Yes sir. Will definetly have a barrel extention to lengthen it to the 16 1/2 inch legal length. That is the first project i intend on trying out with the lathe i now have access to. Im going to try and drill out a piece of bar stock steel, turn it down and thread it to the apropriate the thread. If all goes well (since i bought a 6' peice of stock.) i may try and produce a couple of fake cans (Steel so they can be pinned) and a extention or two. Thanks for your input! - Zap
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget BATF says an SBR needs a tax stamp to be legal.
Keep us posted on the build.  Very interesting
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top