Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2006 12:57:50 PM EDT
Anyone dealt with bent-metal?  I hear cold steel is good, but its considerably more expensive and, from what i hear, slow on delivery.  What about bent metal?  DOesn't have the dimples, but I can do those easily.  I'd like to hear some feedback on both of these companies.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I received a Coldsteel RPK receiver today.  As noted on their website it took 4weeks from the time of order to delivery. It sure is a solid receiver.  Seems very well made.  I think it was worth the wait.  I slipped my front trunnion into the front of the receiver.  It appears to need very minor fitting.  OAL was 10.25" so there should be no need to trim it.  It came with a schematic type blueprint and a template, along with some other literature.  I'm not going to use the template.  I will lay out the location of the various holes according to the print.  That way will be more accurate than the template. Don't have to worry about stretching the template and getting the holes off center. Now I need to find a 7mm. and a 5mm. drill bit for the hammer and trigger pin holes.
I can't help you with the bent metal receiver.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
the std ak .050 balks I received have needed trimmed in all cases, but the bends were very precise and width was exact. only top rail trimming was necessary after building. Btw, shipping was awesomely fast, as I sent the money order out and received the blanks exactly 6 days later..FWIW
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It came with a schematic type blueprint and a template, along with some other literature.  I'm not going to use the template.  I will lay out the location of the various holes according to the print.  I can't help you with the bent metal receiver.

Was this a good quality print, ie one of the reverse engineered ones around here, was it a military drawing, or what?  At this point i think a high quality print that I can trust more than those I've downloaded would make me go with them.  I'm am uneasy about using a reverse engineered print since the tolerances are so open, I want the nominal dimensions.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I vote for bent-metal.com  of course I'm biased

Robert Ibe
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Bent - Metal +1. Quality product, excellent customer service.

joedoran
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Essentially, the template was only a sheet of paper.  Nothing I would want to use as a template.  There is a print with the dimensions given from the rear of the receiver and the top of it. Since  this is a .064 receiver I feel that the template will not give me the correct  placement if affixed to the receiver. I would rather measure and mark the locations of the holes. As far as the trunnion holes, I locate them when the trunnions are in the receiver itself and then drill them.  I don't know if the prints are reverse engineered.  In any case, I have an original Maadi ARM receiver to use to double check, in addition to the Global Trades receivers.    
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
BentMetal....made a great RPK with one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
does the bent-metal blanks have the dimples in the mag well pre stamped?
anyone have a picture of their blanks? i dont see any pictures on their website.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top