Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:57:08 PM EDT
got my build done but need to change out my gas piston for a us one i have.is anyone out  there doing this such as shop service?i do not want to mess up my carrier if i do it wrong.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Where in NY are you?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
SPENCERPORT,NEAR ROCHESTER
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
All u need is a vise, a center punch, a punch and a hammer. there a real snap, you can do it in ten minutes. Put the piston in the vise in an angle with the rear of the piston sitting ontop of the vise jaws and crank down. Find the spot (hole) where it is connected. Beat a center punch right on that spot and the little pin will start to move, take a punch and drive it out. Unscrew it, then screw the new one in, leave a little wobble to it. Take a piece of 1/8 drill rod found at any hardware store, put it in the hole, cut the drill rod so about an 1/16th - 1/8th is exposed on both sides. Now lay the carrier on the anvil part of ur bench vise, rest it right on one of the exposed sides of that protruding drill rod and smack the other side with a hammer, turn it around and smack the other side, this will fill in the bevel around the hole. Clean up with a file or the dremel and your done. I usually put a small tack weld on it but its not necesary. Dont build the whole rifle then let the little piston scare you. just take your time, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
hotbarrel does gas piston removal/reinstall.  His email is "[email protected]"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Niagara County, not too far and if you ever need help just send me a message and we'll hook up. They are very easy... but if you need help or tools I'm here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the help.you guys are a wealth of info.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top