Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:28:14 AM EDT
Depending on the responses, I am thinking of setting up my shop to make custom parts for AK's.
Gas Pistons, muzzle brakes. ect.

Does every think it is a worth while venture for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If your parts are quality and your price is cheaper than the competition they will sell. Or, you manufacture parts that people can’t buy off the shelf, and you price them fairly. Don't quit your day job though....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should be descriptive.

I was thinking of custom length pistons for those pistol builders with a shorter barrel.

Also barrel press tools.

Muzzle brakes that actually fuction. Count it as a US made part...

I was also pondering pressing barrel pins and removing the barrel from the trunion for 20 bucks and I pay the return shipping.  (What can i say, I like hearing the infamous pop)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I think there is a market for all of those things.  you know what it is like around here, you are going to get slammed on boards like this if
1) you don't answer email or phone calls
2)if you don't ship promptly
3)if you don't deal with complaining customers......

Quality may be job one, but in the gun community service is even more important.  Your people skills are going to be every bit as important as your machine skills....

That was my 2 cents.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Barrels my friend barrels!
find a way and you'll be $$$$, I'm a carpenter and wood would not hold up very well, or I would build them!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get some idea of the demand by checking out hotbarrel's threads on Gunco and AKfiles.  He does this stuff on the side.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think there is a market for all of those things.  you know what it is like around here, you are going to get slammed on boards like this if
1) you don't answer email or phone calls
2)if you don't ship promptly
3)if you don't deal with complaining customers......

Quality may be job one, but in the gun community service is even more important.  Your people skills are going to be every bit as important as your machine skills....

That was my 2 cents.....

Thats a Big +1.

Alot of people in the gun business don't understand the phrase "customer care", its sad really.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Just Do It and they will Come, if you make a quality part, as I'am sure you will
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Feel free to consider me a lunatic, but I would like to see a modified top cover with some sort of charging handle assembly. I hate having the bolt handle sticking out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If your parts are quality and your price is cheaper than the competition they will sell. Or, you manufacture parts that people can’t buy off the shelf, and you price them fairly. Don't quit your day job though....

+1

I've been trying to find a way to get make a side business at this for a year or so. But for most of my good ideas, someone else is making it cheaper or better than I can.  Eventually I'll find my niche.

I had the idea of threading Phantom flash hiders in 1x14LH.  I figured I could by the FH for about $20 and sell them for about $40 on the EE. I'm not looking to make a fortune just enough to buy a new rifle or a lathe.  Last week I saw someone selling them at a gun show for $19.

Your piston idea is good.  Just don't expect to sell them for more than $40 or 50.  Also don't invest too much in it. Because if Tapco thinks there's a market they will put them out for $29.99.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#10]
heavy.gif

hmm. thinkinf further. I should beat Tapcos price. I want to turn a few 4130 stainless pistons first before I insert foot in mouth.

I was also think of short barrel kits. (for AK pistols of course) Varied sizes with the gas piston, front sight and gas block and tube. Theres my million dollars.

Still wont quit my day job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your piston idea is good.  Just don't expect to sell them for more than $40 or 50.  Also don't invest too much in it. Because if Tapco thinks there's a market they will put them out for $29.99.

Hotbarrel was selling pistons for $15 shipped..Kinda hard to beat that price
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hotbarrel was selling pistons for $15 shipped..Kinda hard to beat that price

That's what I was thinking.
And at $35 shipped, his US made Tantal brakes are also a bargain.
It is just a hobby to him, cause at his prices, he sure ain't getting rich.
He sure does nice work though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And at $35 shipped, his US made Tantal brakes are also a bargain.

you're tellin me.

my 2 are killer.  

got a yugo GL comin in next
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Hotbarrel does very good work on all of his projects. He also has great customer support, i.e. contacts customers on all situations. He does not do this to get rich, just help his fellow builders who can't do lathe work for their parts. I personally won't sell parts that he makes as I respect him too much for what he does.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top