Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/22/2006 5:16:08 PM EDT
Hey All
I just installed my barrel in my romy kit and when i hold the barreled receiver and look down the length of it , it is crooked.

the barrel is seated in the trunion straight, but it looks like the trunion is not straight in the receiver. when i look at it from the top, i can see a shallow curve that runs from the rear of the receiver to the tip of the barrel.

Anyone ever see this before? I am not sure what to do, I removed the barrel, and I have been thinking about it, I wonder if i could possibly put it in an arbor press and apply pressure to the area at the rear of the front trunion to try to straighten it.

Anyone know what to do  hanksP.Smith
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Place your AK on a flat, hard surface. Then run over it with a large 4x4, flipping the AK over every 3 or4 runs. Repeat until it's straight as you want it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Was it a predrilled receiver? It seems to me that the most likely cause would be the holes mounting the trunnion are improperly drilled. If it were me I would carefully grind down the rivets and punch them out and remeasure the holes, since the barrel is back out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't do the 4X4 thing cuz i drive a mini van.

JohnRippert, it was a pre drilled receiver.  The holes were slightly off, so i did a little filing to make it fit.
I think I will take out the rivets like you say, and re fit and re rivet.  I hate the thought of grinding off those rivets, but I think it is my only choice.

If that doesn't work, my brother in law has a 4X4 and I will try that.

Thanx

P.Smith
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't do the 4X4 thing cuz i drive a mini van.

JohnRippert, it was a pre drilled receiver.  The holes were slightly off, so i did a little filing to make it fit.
I think I will take out the rivets like you say, and re fit and re rivet.  I hate the thought of grinding off those rivets, but I think it is my only choice.

If that doesn't work, my brother in law has a 4X4 and I will try that.

Thanx

P.Smith

I think he meant a 4x4 piece of wood.

I think removing the rivets is the way to go.

na he was being a smartass LOL

you might also have to trim the trunnion some as most arnt perfect
and are just slamed out
when we rebuild them we want them to be as close to perfect as we can get
even tho the orig maker didnt bother if it would shoot it was good
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#7]
yea i didnt say we claimed him  
looked alittle and most all his posts have some smartass in there
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top