Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:00:44 PM EDT
Took the romy to the range today.  At 150 yards the group was about ten feet. All shots were fired from a rest. It was the same results with three experienced shooters.  This kit looked new when built. Nothing seems to be loose or anything.  I can't figure this one out. We were using wolf ammo which is usually pretty good stuff. Any ideas? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
its just not designd as a sniper rifle

the bullet is large with a small charge
its made to shoot alot of bullets fast
not 1 bullet slow and dead on

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Truly, what was the size of the group.  10 feet ??? really?   Try shooting Wolf Hollow points.  Shoot at 50, then 100 yards.    Instead of shooting the standard group of three rounds, shoot SIX.  Three is fine for adjusting a tack driver, but for AK purposes 6 rounds gives a better overall indication.  Figure ONE or maybe TWO rounds will fly out of the group, but the other 4 rounds should group up at 3 to 4 inches at 50 yards.    At a hundred yards I would expect a group of 6 to 8 inches.   But NEVER multiple FEET.

That's my 2 cents.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Even at 150 yards your bench groups with Wolf shold be under 12".  Were the bullets keyholing or anything that would suggest that they weren't stabilized?  Damn, with a good condition kit with a good looking bore it should shoot as well as an AK shoots.  The only way you should be shooting like that is if you have a smooth bore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Not looking for a sniper rifle. 10 inches would be great but 10 feet. I will shoot it again with different ammo and double check everything. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
i know that a few other factors that screw with the accuracy of an AK are the gas-valve and the muzzle brake. my brother (who's serving with the 10th army special forces) was telling me he was talking with a guy who knew AKs and M-4s inside out, especially the ballistics, and that if the gas valve is dirty it will mess with the air behind the bullet and make it wobble, thereby being less accurate. also the slant brakes will do the same, but i don't think either could cause too much of an impact (like 10 foot wide groups)...

just some food for thought
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the barrel slightly bent?  I saw that happen firing a 50 cal machine gun.  The rounds looked like they were going in a big spiral down range.  The tracers made it very easy to see that they were going all over the place.  Try a couple tracers if you have them and the range allows it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
check your muzzle crown to see if its ok and not dammaged

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to agree with the muzzle crown idea.  How did you reinstall your barrel?  Did you adequately protect the muzzle when you did it?  You may have to clean up the muzzle if you "boogered it".
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#9]
check the diamater of the bullets! new wolf ammo is crap the bullets on a newer lot I checked was .307 dia. should be .310-.311"
                       R1150R
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot it again and things looked alot better.  At about 100 yards I put 10 rounds of wolf and 10 rounds of surplus hollow point  ammo in a 10 inch group. I checked the crown and did not see anything wrong. The wolf ammo measured .308"and the surplus at .309". I did notice a few sparks coming from the muzzle when  fired.  Sparks not a flash. I saw this on an overcast day.  Is this normal?  I measured the bore the best I could with a caliper and everything seemed ok. I guess I will just keep shooting it and see if it happens again. I will keep my safety glasses on. Thanks for everyones help.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
you have a screw on brake.. it may be not centered or the hole to small
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I just built a Russian metal sidefolder ..Romy kit..

First shots were about three feet low at 50 yards.  Once I adjusted for that, I only had three rounds left. The last three must have been a fluke, because I put two together that could be covered with the brass from a 45-70. The third was a flier but still within 2" ...

I was pretty shocked...shot them with Wolf 122grn. hollow points

My first build..I took a Romy kit and chopped the barrell to about 12.6 moved the front site back and  welded a 74 brake on.  I shot it with out the brake on it...it shot about a foot low and to the right...at 10 feet.  I cleaned up the crown on the muzzle with a dremel and put the brake on. Now it shoots average AK groups....3-5 inches at 50 yards.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top