Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2006 7:23:59 PM EDT
Hello. I have a pre-bent blank I bought from DPH.

The trunion I have can now slide in, but looking at it, it seems it is not straight. I'm wondering if the thin rail is still too wide.

How wide is the thin rail at the front of the receiver supposed to be?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for outcome, I'm wondering about similar things myself before I start working on my blank.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I always dremel my blanks a little long. Then being a carpenter, I break out the porter-cable belt sander and clean them up. Works good and you can sand them pretty square. HTH
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I can't take any more material off without it being too short.

I've been doing this on a kitchen table -- no workshop for me.

What about the front rails?  I do have a digital caliper.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you talking about the part that slides into the trunnion? If you are, a few of my blanks have been too thick to go into the trunnion. I just dremel the trunnion groove. Not much, just enough for the receiver to slide in snugly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone told me he cuts his down to 0.125" and then files to fit.   The final width is something like .085".  Someone else mentioned he files a little from the top of the rails so that they are not so thick, and they should slide in flush.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top