Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2006 1:38:03 AM EDT
Greetings-

First, thanks to all who post here, I've learned a lot from browsing the forums.

I've started my first build, a Romanian from DPH which is in great shape.  I've got two questions (at this point) perhaps someone can help me with.

I'm not crazy about the pistol drip lower handguard and have been thinking about cutting it down and reshaping it.  Has anyone done this?  Any comments or suggestions ?

Second questions is regarding metal finish.  I'm planning on using Gunkote when the time comes.  I'm wondering if I should spray the inside of the receiver prior to assembly.  It seems like if I don't there will be unprotected metal inside which will be likely to rust.

Thanks in advance for any replys and for inspiring me to undertake this fun project!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Others have cut off the front grip and made it look good .  The factory originally did not coat the inside of the receiver before the trunnions were installed
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done it. Bandsaw and belt sander. Works good and woodworking is always fun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks guys!  I've got a regular handguard from a polish UF (next project) which I can use as a template.  I guess I will give it a try.  By the way, I've seen some pictures of handguards with "swells" or raised areas, what's the deal with those?  Thanks again and I'll probably be back with more questions as things progress.  Just need to get my receivers...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I also have used a bandsaw and belt sander with pretty good results.  

I believe the palm swells were for the AK 74..SOmeone with more knowledge jump in.

Good luck
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top