Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/18/2006 7:06:19 AM EDT
Hi, I'm new here.  I have a build question.  I have folded a flat and am ready to rivet it together.  My question is, when the time comes for fitting the bolt what is the best way to cut down the top rails?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
put the bolt assembly in and work the action.  If you notice any binding occurring, trim the top rails.  That's how I atleast do it on my builds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Most guys use a Dremel tool to trim top rails.  Here is what I do to get the inside dimension between the top rails correct.  I take my dial caliper and measure the width of the bolt carrier in the grooves that fit the top rail then trim to that width.  I know there are lots of places that tell us exactly what measurements to use, but I am a huge fan of measuring the actual parts that  I have and making them fit.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  My plan was to go with a file first time around.  Not sure how good I would do with a Dremel.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top