Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:41:35 PM EDT
Working on my first build.  The gas shutoff valve/pin that holds the grenade sight on is terribly corroded and cannot be tightened.  I'd like to remove the whole works.  Is that possible?  If so, what should go in the hole to geep the gas from spewing out the side, and make it go back down the tube like it is supposed to?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been wondering the same thing.  I havn't found a tutorial on the Yugo gas block/grenade sight assembly yet either.  I am going to attempt to take at least one apart today....just to see what is in there and how it is set up, and what it takes to remove it permanantly
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the grenade sight/ gas shutoff assembly will come off if you remove the nut on the left side.  

You may find that it's the gas block itself that's eroded, and you'll have to replace the whole thing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The nut is stopped by a shoulder.  So it can only be tightened so far.  If the assembly wobbles, it is badly corroded inside.  I had one like that.  It leaked so badly that the rifle would not cycle correctly.

If you go ahead and build it, be careful when shooting it. The leaking gasses get aimed at your face by the valve handle. After getting stung on the cheek, I decided to make a new gas valve.  You will need a lathe to do this.  Pictures are on the first page of the thread linked below.

The finished rifle was so inaccurate that I counterbored the muzzle (again and again) in an attempt to save it.  Ultimately, I replaced the entire barrel assembly.  That solved all the problems.  Here is a link to the thread of the entire saga, complete with pictures.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16614&highlight=gas

ETA:  (If only I could remember how to make a link hot)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I got 1 of mine off and it is corroded, but not beyond all hope.  As with the bores, there just was't a maintanance program for these rifles when they were issued...
Thanks for the thread...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When you go to reply, at the bottom you will find a little blue earth looking symbol with an infinity sign in front of it (hard to tell on this crappy monitor).  Click on that and viola' :

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16614&highlight=gas

Thy link is hot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got mine off by "improving" an old split ring plier I had languising in my toolbox.  Or should I say, I finally got half of it off.  It was corroded so badly it spun and broke in two non-equal pieces.  I haven't found anyone that sells these yet, so I may just "cap" both holes with a bit of welding wire and grind it smooth.  From looking at the design, it appears that, as long as gas goes from the barrel into the tube, everything should function correctly.  Hmmmm...maybe now is the time to buy that mini milling machine I've been looking at, and make a new part!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to weld mine too...I am making a pistol and that grenade sight ain't gonna get it.  Weld it and grind it smooth...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a man on the Gunco board who's parting out a bunch of M70's. You could get your gas block and/or shutoff assembly from him.

ETA:-
I just went looking for the sale post at Gunco and I see that the man's sick with appendicitis. It will be a while before he's back on the board, but he does have all the parts for sale separately.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you go to reply, at the bottom you will find a little blue earth looking symbol with an infinity sign in front of it (hard to tell on this crappy monitor).  Click on that and viola' :

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16614&highlight=gas

Thy link is hot.

I never knew that.  Thanks buddy.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem!!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top