Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:26:59 PM EDT
I have no gunsmithing experience of any sort, but I saw that yugo ak kit for $60 and now I am really tempted to do this.  I don't really have access to many tools, but could I jerry rig most of them?  I have access to drill press, etc, but no hydraulic presses or anything of that nature.  And, from what I understand I need a special receiver for the yugo right?  (the one with the bulges)  
Can someone explain to me why the barrel needs to be removed from the kit to install in the receiver?  I saw the cetme rifles tutorial, but I missed why this was necessary.  It seems like you could work it without.  Whats the best, most detailed tutorial out there that would help me figure this out?  Oh, one more question, does it matter (other than quality), whether you buy a milled or stamped parts kit, could you still use the same kind of bent flat receiver?  THanks!

I guess I shoudl clarify my main question too.  Is this something I could attempt as just a fun project, or would it turn into a nightmare?  I have good mechanical ability, just no skill or experience.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this site for a tutorial:

Surplus Rifles

As for your question in regards to having to remove the barrel...it's not required, except if you wanna do a 100% revit build.  The barrel needs to be pressed out to be able to remove the old revits, install the new ones and smash the new ones down.  If you do a screw build, or the u-drive method, then you would not need to remove the barrel.

I started building AKs about a month and a half ago, with no prior knowledge; I've now done 4 builds, have 3 AMD65 kits in the process of being built, just purchased 10 Yugo underfolder kits yesterday, and have 3 more Romy kits on the bench.  I started off with no tools and gradually purchased what I needed.  Basically a couple punches, a dremel tool, a press, a BFH, a gear puller, a vise and a couple other things.  Of course, you don't need everything I mentioned, but it helps facilitate the build.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
go for it I didnt have anything when I started I didnt have any tools ...Its not that hard to do now I have 1 yugo done starting on my 2nd romy ....dont get a milled I have learned the hard way with that one a receiver is going to cost you some money .....good luck and take you time with it everything you  need to know is on this site...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, what part of OH are you from.  I maybe holding a AK Build party in the near future with a couple members from another gun forum.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
sawgunner, I didn't see you at the show....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BTW, what part of OH are you from.  I maybe holding a AK Build party in the near future with a couple members from another gun forum.

You can count me in for that build party if you dont mind ......And Knob I have sent you a IM    and emailed you
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have no gunsmithing experience of any sort, but I saw that yugo ak kit for $60 and now I am really tempted to do this.  

I think you are refering to those $59 Yugo milled kits? I'd go with the $79 stamped kit if I were you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have no gunsmithing experience of any sort, but I saw that yugo ak kit for $60 and now I am really tempted to do this.  

I think you are refering to those $59 Yugo milled kits? I'd go with the $79 stamped kit if I were you.

I think the milled aspect is what you missed, +1 for the Kool Aid guy, and go with the stamped Romy-

Check out one of the dealers here on this board- Cope's Distributing
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
THanks guys.  I'll go ahead and give it a shot.  Can you tell me why the milled kit would be worse, just out of curiosity?  In other gun arenas milled seems to be the preferred choice.  And I would love to do an ak build group session, I sent you an IM.  Also, should I get a full receiver for my first try, or a pre-bent blank (i don't have the ability to bend).  And, I want to make sure I get the right kind of receiver.  I am going cheap, so it'd be one of those yugo's from ammo store
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
THanks guys.  I'll go ahead and give it a shot.  Can you tell me why the milled kit would be worse, just out of curiosity?  In other gun arenas milled seems to be the preferred choice.  And I would love to do an ak build group session, I sent you an IM.  Also, should I get a full receiver for my first try, or a pre-bent blank (i don't have the ability to bend).  And, I want to make sure I get the right kind of receiver.  I am going cheap, so it'd be one of those yugo's from ammo store

Milled receivers are very spendy.  Also, there aren't any milled Yugo style receivers out there... yet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
A milled receiver is  BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.  Check out www.gunsgutsandgod.com for Yugo AK parts, tutorials and receivers....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah, i didn't know a milled kit had to go on a milled receiver... thanks for the info!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top