Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/14/2006 2:52:29 PM EDT
I've been playing with one of those Ammunitionstore.com $79 Yugo kits today.  After freezing my fingers in a bucket of gas getting the half inch of cosmolene off, I managed to get the front receiver section off without doing too much damage to the trunnion.

I bought this kit to be my first since it was so cheap.  I want to do my screwing up with this dark bore kit.  I have three Romanian kits coming, I figure by the time I do this Yugo and all the Romanian kits I should do a pretty good job on my M92 Krink kit.  Don't really want to trash that $500 one.

What receiver should I order for this Yugo kit?  Also, what model is this, an M70?  It is the strangest AK I have ever seen.  A bolt runs all the way through the stock to attach to the rear trunnion and it has a huge grenade sight on the front.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about picking up a few of these $79 kits, heard somewhere from orders already received that the bores werent soo terrible.What's yours look like?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Make an Electric Bore Cleaner... I've heard they work really well cleaning up those dark bores.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about picking up a few of these $79 kits, heard somewhere from orders already received that the bores werent soo terrible.What's yours look like?

Well, I am no expert.  Comparing it to my much fired MAK-90, it does have pretty decent rifling.  The MAK is definately better.  I stuck a live round into the chamber of both and they seemed to fit the same.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I am no expert.  Comparing it to my much fired MAK-90, it does have pretty decent rifling.  The MAK is definately better.  I stuck a live round into the chamber of both and they seemed to fit the same.

I'll probably take a chance on at least one kit..Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You have a stamped receiver M70 kit, with a fixed wood stock.

Try here for the 100% receiver: http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm.

<100% receivers are offered by Coldsteel Solutions and AK-Builder.com.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of the Yugo underfolders today for $89.  Can't quite build it yet since I think the overall length willbe under Michigan's 26" OAL and be a pistol.  And since a pistol can't have a stock, it'll be illegal.  I'll have to wait and build it when I go home on break.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, the AmmunitionStore was at the Berea Gunshow this weekend as well and had about 10 of the Yugo underfolder kits available for $85 a piece.  After going through some of them that they had opened up for me to inspect, I couldn't decide which one to buy and take home....so I took all 10 of them.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, the AmmunitionStore was at the Berea Gunshow this weekend as well and had about 10 of the Yugo underfolder kits available for $85 a piece.  After going through some of them that they had opened up for me to inspect, I couldn't decide which one to buy and take home....so I took all 10 of them.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/knobcreek/IMG_5016.jpg

Did they let you take home a hot Yugoslavian girl with that? Wow.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Who, Jen?  She's just the nice counter girl that was up since 4:30 this morning.  She was too grumpy to come with me.  LOL.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Those look MUCH cleaner than the one I received.  Instead of saw cut, the one I have looks like it was torch cut by a retarded 3 year old.  Luckily he didn't hit anything important, but they were very ugly cuts.

Also, I can't see any cosmolene.  Mine was nasty with the stuff.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, those are beautiful kits.  Why don't they sell those online?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Apparently, they just received shipment recently and brought their inventory to gunshows in OH and MI this weekend.  There's another OH gunshow next weekend and I am hoping that they'll have some remaining stock to bring to the show.  They already know me and have told me to email them to determine how many they have left.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you really gonna build all of those? I've never seen a kit at a gun show here or I would probably buy a couple but 10??????? I just wish I could have been  there when you walked in the door and your wife/girlfriend saw this! Nice find. I am envious.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmm, I could be tempted by one of these kits.

Not knowing anything about AK's howeevr I have a couple of quetions if someone would be kind enough to educate me.

1: Saw cut versus torch cut was mentioned.  What does that mean, what was cut from what?  I realise you need a lower receiver to go with these but are they cut off rathter than disassembled?

2: 90 bucks for this, and what is the going rate for a receiver to finish it off?  Could I really have an AK for about $130?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
basically, a torch cut receiver is what is name implies...the using of a torch to melt away metal...whereas a saw cut, they used a band saw or whatever (cleaner cut).  They have to demill these kits prior to importing it, but for the most part, just the receiver is destroyed.  As far as replacement receiver cost, they can be purchased here for about $85.  DCI

You will need to purchase the compliance parts, ie, atleast 6 US made parts (combination of pistol grip, slant break, mag followers, floor plate, mag bodies, gas piston, etc) so the cost will be slightly more than what you mentioned, but could possibly be less than $200.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are you really gonna build all of those? I've never seen a kit at a gun show here or I would probably buy a couple but 10??????? I just wish I could have been  there when you walked in the door and your wife/girlfriend saw this! Nice find. I am envious.

I actually purchased these for some buddies of mine, but kept 3 of them.  I plan on purchasing another 10 for myself, though, next week.  As for what the wife says, she understands, as I eye her collection of shoes (most of them being more than $85 each).
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually purchased these for some buddies of mine, but kept 3 of them.  I plan on purchasing another 10 for myself, though, next week.  As for what the wife says, she understands, as I eye her collection of shoes (most of them being more than $85 each).

Well, if they have 11 of them, pick one of for me!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Those are beautiful underfolder kits,  cosmetically much better than the ones I've seen before.
Called AmmunitionStore today, spoke to 2 different people - they don't seem have them any longer. Fixed stocks they have aplenty.
LT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Ordered one JUST NOW!!!
Hand picked.  
The wife is gonna 5hit!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#22]
how much for hand picked?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#23]
$20 more.  I figured what the heck.
Might as well get the good stuff.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess I should have went to the fun show this weekend
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like they don't ship to Alaska, not listed as an option. Anyone want to sell an underfolder to a poor guy out of the loop?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell I cant find the folders listed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#27]
They said they are sold out right now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder why?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess if someone waived all those tasty little tid-bits under my nose I would have done the same thing.   There will be more.............be patient.

The only reason I carry a pistol is to shoot my way back to my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Do they sell these online? I saw the fixed stock kits on there sight but couldn"t figure out how to order one. Do I have to call them?
xxxx
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I just gave them a call.  You have to fill out the disclaimer on the site before they will sell to you.  Takes about 30 seconds.  I hope the hand select was worth the x-tra 20 clams.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Ordered one this morning, I'm hoping it will be as clean as one of the 10 Knobcreek1 got. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I told them I wanted an underfolder but they said it was missing the muzzle break and cleaning rod but yours seem to have them. Hopefully mine will be right and not a straight stock.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#33]
About half of the kits were missing their slant breaks and/or their cleaning rods.  I've got two of the nice and clean ones just waiting to be built.  Very little cosmo was used on it...or maybe the cosmo dripped from these kits and onto the other ones that I got cuz they'z be caked in it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Do they look as good in person as online? Also I would suspect the bore to look fair from the looks of them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ordered one this morning, I'm hoping it will be as clean as one of the 10 Knobcreek1 got. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I told them I wanted an underfolder but they said it was missing the muzzle break and cleaning rod but yours seem to have them. Hopefully mine will be right and not a straight stock.

If you dont mind me asking, what did they charge you for an underfolder ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Do they look as good in person as online? Also I would suspect the bore to look fair from the looks of them.

The bores on 9 of them were surprisingly nice, dark, but nice.  On one of them, it'll require alot of elbow grease to clean up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Rev, I believe it came out to be $98.08 shipped. Knob thanks for the info and the line.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's a picture of the two kits that I've kept.  Between the two of them, I like the one with the majority of it's finish intact -- top one.  This is prior to me even cleaning them up.  Kindda tempted to stash these and purchase another couple kits to build.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Rev, I believe it came out to be $98.08 shipped. Knob thanks for the info and the line.

I guess they have the underfolders in now.
Or did you get lucky and they found one hiding under a table?
I wanted one but they only had the fixed stock in.
I guess I have to give them a call.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#40]
What's the length of these assembled?  Michigan has some messed up laws if it's under 30".  I'm debating on building it once I move or adding a muzzle device or something to bring it to 30".
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Haven't built one yet, so I really could not tell you the OAL.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Corny, I hope they understood that I wanted a underfolder and not a fixed stock. At first they said they couldn't find any. So I called back a couple hours later to let them know I would be in a bad cell phone area and couldn't make calls. I asked them to put me down for one when they found them and they said they couldn't do it and did not know if they had any. Well after a little waiting he talked to his boss (I guess) who said they still had 3 and they sent it to me. I'll let yall know how it turns out in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#43]
That's great.  They should get more in some day.  I can wait.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
What's the length of these assembled?  Michigan has some messed up laws if it's under 30".  I'm debating on building it once I move or adding a muzzle device or something to bring it to 30".

25.75'' folded and 36.12 opened
HTH
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Is there a decent muzzle device I could throw on that isn't too bubba looking?  Or would it be legal to affix something that stuck out the back of the rifle to make the length legal?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Is there a decent muzzle device I could throw on that isn't too bubba looking?  Or would it be legal to affix something that stuck out the back of the rifle to make the length legal?

Where in Michigan do you live?  Is that a state law or a county/local deal.  They might mean overall length which means you have to factor in the length of the folding stock.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Is there a decent muzzle device I could throw on that isn't too bubba looking?

I dunno about your state's laws, but this looks interesting:

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19673
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Here is what I pulled off of the web.  I used to be a LEO in michigan and thought what you were saying might be a little off.
16.  Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222   Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.  Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess.  MCL 750.224d   There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
That's great.  They should get more in some day.  I can wait.
Thanks

I just spoke with my friend at the AmmunitionStore and bought 30 of the Yugo underfolder kits...so I know for a fact, they have them in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#50]
On the phone now..................We will see.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top