Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:32:59 PM EDT
Thinking of getting one of these, but wouldn't get around to building it for a while.  How many of these are around and how soon will they dry up?  Anybody have any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thinking of getting one of these, but wouldn't get around to building it for a while.  How many of these are around and how soon will they dry up?  Anybody have any ideas?

They will always be around until everyone switches over to energy weapons.  You can even make your own RPK clone by getting a 20" saiga and putting a clubfoot stock, muzzle brake, and bipod on it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They will always be around until everyone switches over to energy weapons.  You can even make your own RPK clone by getting a 20" saiga and putting a clubfoot stock, muzzle brake, and bipod on it.

How do you deal with the angle cut receiver though?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, as long as some vendors have them listed for $1500 I imagine they will be around for awhile.  However, you might be talking about the more affordable kits.  In any event you or anyone else will probably know they are getting low when the kits raise in price     If you have to get one, no better time than now.

As for the Saiga method, it might resemble an RPK but personally I would rather have the real RPK 23" heavy barrel.  Yes it will cost more but it will also be more authentic.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you deal with the angle cut receiver though?

Saigas have normal cut receivers, VEPRs have slant cut receivers.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, as long as some vendors have them listed for $1500 I imagine they will be around for awhile.  However, you might be talking about the more affordable kits.  In any event you or anyone else will probably know they are getting low when the kits raise in price     If you have to get one, no better time than now.

As for the Saiga method, it might resemble an RPK but personally I would rather have the real RPK 23" heavy barrel.  Yes it will cost more but it will also be more authentic.

It's pretty hard to kill a good barrel. Either one will work fine. The saiga may not be 'authentic' however it would work for laying down fire to suppress violent ground hogs and their ilk.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's pretty hard to kill a good barrel. Either one will work fine. The saiga may not be 'authentic' however it would work for laying down fire to suppress violent ground hogs and their ilk.

No argument there, but a 16" will work for that roll also.  Honestly, I do not see much of a tactical roll for a semi-auto RPK in the first place.  They are neat looking pieces and for that reason I had one more for collector value.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No argument there, but a 16" will work for that roll also.  Honestly, I do not see much of a tactical roll for a semi-auto RPK in the first place.  They are neat looking pieces and for that reason I had one more for collector value.

There was a thread in the Survival forum about how to deal with large groups of hostiles. I think the RPK is the solution
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. I'm always glad I brought multiple AKs and dozens of loaded mags to the range when the paper targets, cans, milk jugs and miscellaneous junk charge after a near miss. iIcan't recall how many times the ability to lay down a heavy, continuous volume of fire has saved my life here in the good old USA!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top