Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:01:05 AM EDT
I have just about all the tools I need to start in on my first build.  I didn't buy a press as I'll just use a BFH.  I will be getting a bench drill press as soon as one comes on sale.  I have ordered the parts kits.  Now I just need to order rivets and recievers.  For my first build would you suggest buying a 100% reciever?  My only problem with this is it costs me $20 to do a FFL transfer.  How hard is it to bend your own flat or buy a prebent without the holes drilled and drill them yourself?  I suppose I could buy a flat bending jig but then wouldn't I need a press to do this?  As well, how hard and costly is it to harden the recievers if you bend one on your own?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If I were you, the 100% receivers are the easiest route to take; just purchase a couple of them to offset the FFL transfer charges since it's one charge for however many items.  If you go the flat bending route, you'll need to flat bending jig and a press to help facilitate the creation of a receiver.  You'll also need some method to install the rails and then a method to harden the receiver once you've finish.  There are several threads here that explain each step of the building process.  Try going to the Hometown section to locate several members in your local area and hold a build party.  I am sure that amongst all of you, you'll be able to scrounge up all the neccessary tools and items to help one another out.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top