Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:02:28 AM EDT
I went up to the hardware store today to pick up some tools to get ready for my first build.  I know I'll need a BFH so I got a four pounder.  I needed a dremmel so I pick one up with the flex shaft.  I am getting the pulley puller later today.  I was going to get some punches but didn't know what sizes to get.  What do you guys recommend?  What sizes as well for drill bits?  Someone mentioned about getting a caliper.  Is one needed or usefull?  Hopefully I get an email soon from Scott at DPH for the price on Romy kits.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The punches that I use most often are the 5/32nd and the 3/16th; you can get a 6 pack of the Dasco Pro brand (1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 5/32,1/4 and 5/16) at Home Depot for about $12.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
For the barrel pin you'd need a good sturdy punch around 1/4" in diameter at the tip, and safety glasses.  When you figure out the drill bit sizes you need get the very best quality you can find, and cutting oil to use with them.  Hopefully you have at least a cheapo benchtop drill press; drilling the rear trunnion rivets with a hand drill can make grown men cry.
If  your receiver is a 100% one a dial caliper is probably not a must-have item.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hopefully I get an email soon from Scott at DPH for the price on Romy kits.

DPH Romy Kits

Trigger Group

Basic Drill Press (wait until it is on sale):

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44506

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38119

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up three kits yesterday.  Probably pick up a few more later this week when I get my check.  I figure they don't lose value sitting on the shelf and I've waited long enough to buy that they're going up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Think of them as investments....atleast, that's the excuse I tell the wife.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
My girlfriend has been harrassing me about how much I am spending on guns and accessories.  I just tell she's got to get used to it before I'll get down on a knee.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I went around town today pricing tools.  The Dasco punches were $22!! I think I'll wait until I go home to get them cheaper.  I came into a few more questions for tools though.  How big are the bolt cutter rivet tools?  I saw 8" bolt cutters that seemed pretty small but the next size were pretty big.  As well, what size should I get for a pully puller?  Do I want one so the trunion will fit exactly or is one a bit bigger ok?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a 24" bolt cutter/rivet smasher, but most folks are fine with the 18".  As for the gear puller, I purchased a 3 pack from Harbor Freight for $12.  It contained a 3", 4" and 6" gear puller; I've only been using the 4".
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, the bolt cutters that sze were easily $30+.  Crazy how spendy things are up here.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top