Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 6:08:03 PM EDT
I bought a scope rail from ORF for an AK74.  rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=9377591.12781*812e_5&p_id=00006&xm=on&ppinc=big  
I know one end attaches to one of the rear rivets but how do you properly install and level the rail?  
I also have pliker's jig but I don't think i can crush the rivets with it.  How else do you install the rivets on this scope rail?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought a scope rail from ORF for an AK74.

I know one end attaches to one of the rear rivets but how do you properly install and level the rail?  
I also have pliker's jig but I don't think i can crush the rivets with it.  How else do you install the rivets on this scope rail?

You need to make sure that the rail is parallel to the barrel. I used a yardstick but any straight piece of metal will work. Otherwise you may not be able to sight-in the scope. I also used plingers jig.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a micrometer and a clamp to keep it in place.  I used a bolt cutter to do the rivets.  When I zeroed I was surprised that it worked for me.

It's tough drilling holes into your receiver.  Good luck
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought a scope rail from ORF for an AK74.

You need to make sure that the rail is parallel to the barrel. I used a yardstick but any straight piece of metal will work. Otherwise you may not be able to sight-in the scope. I also used plingers jig.

ok so it's parallel to the barrel.  That makes sense. For some reason I kept thinking the receiver was the key (what was I thinking)  
Info please on how you used plinkers jig.  Did you have to use different bucking bars or make your own?  Looking at the rail, it looks like the rivet is recessed in the rail.

lakemoor, if I can't figure out how to use plinker's jig on the rail I might have to make a trip to Harbor Freight for some bolt cutters.  Micrometer?  Do you have a diagram with measurements?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I though you made sure that the top of the rail was parallel to the top of the receiver?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Once you get your holes drilled for the rear block you can mock the rail.  The rail gets riveted to the 2nd hole with the rear block.  (Rivet after all holes are drilled).  Clamp where the rail will go and measure from the top of the rail to the top of the receiver.  Adjust and mark where the holes need to be drilled.  Use a smaller bit and measure to make sure.  Gradually use larger bits and you should be good to go.

Here are instructions from tantal's website that I based how I did mine.  He uses screw on a 2 houl type rail, but you kind of get the idea.  Look around his website and look at the AK's with the rails attached.

If everything is done right the barrel should be parellel to the top of the receiver and by default parellel to you scope rail.  

tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/rail_install.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Once you get your holes drilled for the rear block you can mock the rail.  The rail gets riveted to the 2nd hole with the rear block.  (Rivet after all holes are drilled).  Clamp where the rail will go and measure from the top of the rail to the top of the receiver.  Adjust and mark where the holes need to be drilled.  Use a smaller bit and measure to make sure.  Gradually use larger bits and you should be good to go.

Here are instructions from tantal's website that I based how I did mine.  He uses screw on a 2 houl type rail, but you kind of get the idea.  Look around his website and look at the AK's with the rails attached.

If everything is done right the barrel should be parellel to the top of the receiver and by default parellel to you scope rail.  

tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/rail_install.html

OK.  So I'll give it a go.  Thanks to everybody that offered advice/instructions.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top