Posted: 12/30/2005 1:58:19 AM EDT
Any help apreciated.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
i usally dont use my press to install barrels
if it binds it can get ugly real fast

i use a chunk of scrap i found with notchs cut to fit into my vise jaws
a hammer
and 1/4 inch plexy (you can use wood but it takes alot longer)

i know i have a pic ill try and find it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
dont mind the holes in the side
like i said it was scrap i found :)

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]

My method is to get a long piece of 1/4" allthread, a couple big washers, a couple small washers and some nuts, and a large piece of scrape steel (a little larger than the back of your receiver).

Drill a hole in the steel. run the allthread thru it and put a nut on the end.

Put this against the back of the receiver with the allthread up thru your front trunion.

Slide you barrel assy down over the allthread and line it up with the trunion.

Put a couple washers over the end and then a nut.

Turn the nut slowly with a wrench and it will put the barrel assy right into the trunion.

I do all of this with the receiver in a vise, and i've allready dressed the barrel end and the trunion.

With this method, you can go so slow that when you are close to lining up the cross pin, you can't miss.

I've done this with my first 3 builds with no problems at all

Here are the pics of those builds:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=80325

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
yet another idea from a fellow builder I intend to steal....thanks for the all thread idea.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I've also discovered "the hard way" if you polish up the mating surfaces of both the trunnion and barrel they go together alot easier. I also cheat a little and put just a slight chamfer on the outside edge of both the barrel and trunnion. And I mean SLIGHT and only extending about 1/8 inch onto the parts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Believe it or not, but with the allthread method....All I use is a 4" Adjustable wrench to put it back in
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Believe it or not, but with the allthread method....All I use is a 4" Adjustable wrench to put it back in hr

Kryten, thank you for the insight in regards to a different method of barrel reinstallation.  I immediately went to Home Depot, purchased an allthread rod for $5, some connector bolts and will try out this method.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, placeing the barrel in the freezer, and pre-hearing the receiver trunion makes the initial install of the barrel much easier....

Check out the gizmo on AK-builder, the "T" shaped piece with the adjustable bolts.....I made one out of scrap, and now use that to tap against to gently hammer the receiiver onto the barrel.

I bent one Romy barrel trying to install it using a press....never again....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also, placeing the barrel in the freezer, and pre-hearing the receiver trunion makes the initial install of the barrel much easier....

Check out the gizmo on AK-builder, the "T" shaped piece with the adjustable bolts.....I made one out of scrap, and now use that to tap against to gently hammer the receiiver onto the barrel.

I bent one Romy barrel trying to install it using a press....never again....

You could probably make a hack job nut to fit over your muzzle threads to use as a hammering surface, using a large deadblow mallet or rawhide the barrel should go in quite easily when at freezing temps and the trunnion heated to about 250.  This is one of the many secrets to doing aircraft work that I can atest to, along with the threaded shaft, nuts and washers; Ive got many a special tool for pressing in and out bearings and bushings in this manner.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My method is to get a long piece of 1/4" allthread, a couple big washers, a couple small washers and some nuts, and a large piece of scrape steel (a little larger than the back of your receiver).

Put this against the back of the receiver with the allthread up thru your front trunion.

Turn the nut slowly with a wrench and it will put the barrel assy right into the trunion.

I do all of this with the receiver in a vise, and i've allready dressed the barrel end and the trunion.

With this method, you can go so slow that when you are close to lining up the cross pin, you can't miss.

hr

Ive done this also and it works well for 7.62. You cant do this with a 5.45.....the bore is too small. For my 5.45 I clamped the reciver into the vise with a piece of 1/4" steel plate diveted for the rivets to sit in on each side .....taped a quarter to the barrel crown and drove it in.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've also discovered "the hard way" if you polish up the mating surfaces of both the trunnion and barrel they go together alot easier. I also cheat a little and put just a slight chamfer on the outside edge of both the barrel and trunnion. And I mean SLIGHT and only extending about 1/8 inch onto the parts.

i second this method also,..makes it alot easier with either a press or hammer,..just add coper anti-seize,.. and waaaa-laaaa,..you have a installed barrel.

if i dont have a press handy,...i use a brass drift (12in long) and a orange plastic ball-peen hammer (16oz.) to handle all barrel removals and instalations.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Someone needs to tack this.
That's an excellent method!!!
I just got my 1st kit and was thinking I needed to buy a press.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the great method of installing the barrel kryten.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried the allthread method and the allthread twisted and broke inside the barrel, so I used a press. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the method I used before I got my press.  I stole the picture from pookie.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Big Thanks Kryten, I used your tip today on my G Kit build and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Is there any damage to the inside of the barrel when your screwing the barrel on? Any gouges?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Need to remember to remove all burrs and rough surfaces, clean everything up and lightly lube the surfaces with alittle grease before installing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I tryed the bar clamp method and got bar clamps from Harbor Freight, I figured if they only did 2 I would be OK. As soon as I started to tighten the bar clamp cast broke. I went to the BFH and brass bar stock.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]
can somone post pics for the allthread method?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:50:04 AM EDT
[#21]

I'm almost ready to put my next one together.

I will try to remember to take some pictures of the allthread method.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I used the allthread method, but I used the bolt carrier instead of the receiver - my receiver started warping. The bolt carrier mates with the trunion and lines up the allthread with the bore, making it easier. You will need to hammer in the last bit to get the pin to line up right.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top