Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 4:15:58 PM EDT
I've pressed in the front rivets (the farthest forward on each side) and now I see the receiver is warped.  I didn't notice this before, so I think it just happened.  what do I do now?  the rest is 90 degree angles, but the front is out of whack by several degrees (it's noticable eyeballing it).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the holes weren't completely aligned before you riveted .I bolt up all the holes and do one rivet at a time, just holds everything together.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with revjimjones. Its very likely the holes were not drilled precisely and as you smashed your rivets the trunnion moved slightly. I doubt its your reciever thats warped... the trunnion is just crooked. Might want to drill out the old rivets (i hope you have spares) and try to redo your holes somehow. I've never messed up with the holes so i dont know the procedure for closing them back up. Jimjones also pointed out a very good idea with having some kind of small bolts in the other holes while you install rivets. Kudos revjimjones. :)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked the receiver against a small t-square and it was definately warped.  I think it might have been warped already.  I drilled out the 2 rivets I had put in (I don't have spares either..  shit) and bent that sucker back to square.  Now I think my holes are slightly off.  (I had put the other rivets in just to keep it aligned when I pressed the first two.)

Dammit!  I was so careful drilling those freaking holes, I never checked it with a t-square.  I'm wondering if I need to grind down the trunions slightly to get a better fit in the OOW receiver (I just posted another thread on that subject).

thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
NO! NO! STOP! lol DONT GRIND THE TRUNNION!IF you bent the receiver back into shape theres probably still going to be some descrepency with the holes. I'm taking it this reciever was bent from a flat? Did you harden it?EDIT: OK scratch the whole "I'm taking it this reciever was bent from a flat?" part...i didnt read the OOW part..my bad. I dont really like those a whole lot anyways.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If the holes are off even a little - in some locations it will cause the receiver to twist.  First one I built did that.  I clamped it in a vise and tweaked it back straight......worse thing that happened was it popped a couple spot welds loose on one of the rails.  Since it was a flat built, no biggie in my case and the rifle turned out to be a flawless performer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What issues do you have with the OOW receiver?

Aside from the gap issue.  Which on my last build seems to be resolved.

It is a pretty darn good receiver.

If I had my choices I would go with the GT. but since I live only 50 miles from Chardon Ohio I can pick up an OOW recvr. most any day of the week @ 64.95 (tax included) it's a good deal, plus you may have a chance to have some interesting convo with John (the owner)  Cool guy!, and very knowledgeable on many firearms related subjects.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm about ready to give up on this damn thing.  Who wants to buy a half-built Romy kit on an OOW rec?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:37:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I just had a very bad incident WITH the the gap issue. Lets just say... it wasnt "fixed correctly." hinking.gif How much do you want for the kit...not the reciever. Gots plenty of them.
EDIT: Wait did you slew the trunnion out yet ? So i dont have to have that crap...i'm seemingly cursed with the OOW's. Lol
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested.  What is the asking price?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#10]
$125 hand pick Cope's romy kit w/ G2 fcg
$ 80 oow receiver from gun show
$ 20 screw kit (2 bits, 4 taps, 2 hex keys, all screws needed)
$ 28 gear puller (good one from O'reilleys)
$ 10 my 24" crudely modified rivet crushers
-------
$263 is what I've spent (plus shipping)

I'll sell the whole project for $190.  I realigned the front trunion and put in 4 of the 6 rivets.  The trigger guard is in.  The butt stock and foregrip are partially sanded down for refinish.

I'd also trade for a complete AR lower..  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
QUITTER !!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I know - I wussed out!  It's sold pending funds.  I'm just going to buy a vector..  I was building it in the spare bedroom of my apt, so it wasn't ideal anyway..
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top