Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/28/2005 12:53:48 PM EDT
I recently bought a Bulgarian AK47 kit... now i'm very aware these are built on milled recievers...but can it be build on a stamped reciever? I've looked everywhere for a barrel trunnion for it and globaltrade has a "picture" of it...but no product. Figures i know. I have a Polish AKM barrel trunnion...will this fit? It doesnt appear that the rear sight block will squeeze between the two "lips" on the trunnion...Is there another countries trunnion that will fit it? I've searched everywhere for hours on end trying to find any info on this...I can't even find the barrel size for this thing. I've posted on other website such as ak47.us and get no response to any of my questions. ..period. But im not going to be negative... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Much thanks in advance,
Sling
P.S. However, if this is not possible...and or would produce a crap rifle i'm willing to sell to someone that will turn turn it into whats its fully suppose to be. I will give info if the occassion arises. However something thats irritating... and confusing is there no arsenal mark on the parts... anywhere. It looks like a Bulgarian...if pics are needed than i can post some..
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
you can build it on the polish trunnion headspace will need to be checked tho
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh thank God socandyman... you are my saviour! lol It wont turn it into a crappy rifle seeing how we're going from a milled reciever to a stamped will it? *worships socandyman*
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
you got a nice milled kit  why not build it on a milled reciever ..
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
because the parts/labor is alot more than the rifle is worth

milled kit 300
milled rec 300
us parts 70
labor 300-450 (not somethan most people can do)

value when done 650

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats my main reason...going through college for my masters costs a lot of money. So its not like i have a free flowing budget. I really wish i could put a milled reciever on it, however i cant afford. I'm fully able of putting the thing together..so thats no problem. However, my question about the quality of the end product was not answered. :(
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Your milled Bulgarian kit might have a barrel which is threaded into its receiver stub.  To use with a stamped receiver/trunion will require lathe-turning the threads off the chamber end of the barrel.  When done, the previously threaded barrel will have a smooth 23mm journal, which will then press into a stamped-style barrel trunion like your Polish one.  This process is not a big deal (for a competent builder or machinist), and in some ways is actually better than re-using a previously pinned barrel.

You are correct (and observant) that the rear sight block is wider on a milled receiver AK.  The slot in your Polish trunion will need to be widened very slightly to accomodate this dimensional variance.  The difference is again 'very' slight, but needs to be adjusted prior to pressing the sight base home.

As for whether or not it will make a good or nice AK, that is up to you.  It will be a "parts gun", which is just fine for most of us, as long as quality parts and assembly techniques are used.  None of these things are really collectors' items, so just have fun building and shooting them.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Why don't you just trade someone for a stamped kit?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top