Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/26/2005 2:41:59 PM EDT
Anybody have experience with these yet, and are they worth the money?

Click Here
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Some tricky welding involved.  If you don't have access to a good tig or mig welder I would pass.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
tag for more input
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
OMG

that thang costs more than a good 100% rec with the paperwork and shipping
how the hell could you justfy paying more money to do more work

thats like paying someone to kick ya in the balls
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OMG

that thang costs more than a good 100% rec with the paperwork and shipping
how the hell could you justfy paying more money to do more work

thats like paying someone to kick ya in the balls

Oh I dont know,something to be said about not having a reciever on a 4473,however the same thing can be accomplished with a 12 dollar tapco flat and a dremeral tool.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah that's a rip-off. I have one here that I never folded...if you want it I'll ship it to you for $40 rails included.

Like they said, basically you do more work with a welder instead of needing a press or other folding tools.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
wow......

just....wow

if you really REALLY want one:

www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=35&ProductID=276
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah that's a rip-off. I have one here that I never folded...if you want it I'll ship it to you for $40 rails included.

Like they said, basically you do more work with a welder instead of needing a press or other folding tools.

Is every seller on Gunbroker smoking crack?????  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:24:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are picking the low lying fruit...the folks that don't know there is a huge community of picky gun buyers and well informed groups like here on Arfcom...

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wow......

just....wow

Pol pot,thanks for the link,I ordered a couple
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are picking the low lying fruit...the folks that don't know there is a huge community of picky gun buyers and well informed groups like here on Arfcom...

Not everyone, but it does seem like more and more with each passing month that the prices go up on there by sellers (dealers) that don't really care who they rip off.  The same thing goes for Ebay.  It used to be mostly individuals selling what they had around the house that they didn't want, now it's a bunch of dealers selling stuff for prices well above what it's worth!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wow......

just....wow

Pol pot,thanks for the link,I ordered a couple

you're quite welcome, and good luck on the builds!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks,I ordered two as it looks like it will be awhile to make it to a build party to be able to use my flats.These look like about the minimalist way to build from an 80% reciever,yet still cheaper than a 100% especially when you figure in your transfer fees.Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Bought two of these when I first tried to build a kit. I still have one that I use as a template. As Socandyman put it, " It's like paying someone to kick you in the balls". Lots of work for what you wind up with.

Quoted:
Thanks,I ordered two as it looks like it will be awhile to make it to a build party to be able to use my flats.These look like about the minimalist way to build from an 80% reciever,yet still cheaper than a 100% especially when you figure in your transfer fees.Thanks again.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm an experienced sheet metal welder, but not experienced at building AKMs. So to someone like me, this looks like a neat option. I've always loved welding.
Thanks for the link! I'll keep these in mind if my folding of Tapco flats fails.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I recieved my two laser cut flats.Couple of things,no magwell dimples,and the trigger and hammer pin holes look to be a little small.However these are things that can worked with.All in all I am happy,however the bulk of my kits will be built on tapco flats.I needed two more flats anyway,now I need to pick up a small tig welder.Had my eye on a brand new one at a pawn shop,but will look around tonight to see if I can find one cheaper.Now I need to get started on drilling out the rivets on a kit and get started.No excuses now,dont need a press and jig for these two
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't have good luck with the fold up types. I had a friend who welds for a living do it with a TIG setup, and still had too much heat, resulting in 2 warped receivers that when assembled onto rifles via screw builds, wouldn't function properly.her
joedoran
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
to much heat with a tig,,tell him to take some classes on welding,,start with go old ox/acet,,,,if has the ultimate control with heat,,truly pathetic with mild steel,,,,,sorry but true
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
another thing I've seen beer cans welded stem to stern with mig,aluminum....thats a master...tig is great,,gotta starts at the basics,,
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I have to agree with Tagnbag. I've seen guys weld 20 gage steel with TIG and it was beautiful!
I became a pretty decent self taught arc welder over the years. But it was difficult to do anything worth a darn on steel less than 1/8" thick. There is just no substitute for good training here. When I retired from the Navy the VA sent me to school. I wanted to finally learn to do things right and took three semesters of welding and five of machine shop. At the welding school they almost insisted on you taking gas welding first to learn the basics like heat control. That was great learning to weld 16 and 18 gage steel with gas! Heck, I can make gas tanks now for my cycle work! Last winter I made the sidecar I drive today. And it made the arc and MIG welding courses seem easy by comparison because of the skills you need to gas weld.
TIG is the gold standard if you get good at it. But I didn't take that course because I knew I couldn't afford the equipment! But my gas rig and Hobart 175 MIG with bi-mix gas rig allow me to do alot well. Both of those welding rigs were money well spent!

A couple semesters of welding at your local community college are cheap and time well spent. While I was there I felt like a kid in a candy store. It was alot of fun! Took my son in a few times too near the end of that last semester. It really inspired him. He's working to become a welder now himself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
to much heat with a tig,,tell him to take some classes on welding,,start with go old ox/acet,,,,if has the ultimate control with heat,,truly pathetic with mild steel,,,,,sorry but true

I agree with your statement and wasn't saying that it couldn't be done. I wasn't there when he did them to observe how he did them but guessing by the way the welds looked he had too much to SMOKE before getting startedhat
joedoran
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top