Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/23/2005 12:36:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you made a tool that is like a sheetmetal hole finder, yes it has been done. You can make one using a pair of tweezers - drill through both side of the clamping end, put a screw and nut in one end that passes through the hole in the other end. Slide trunnion in, put screw in a trunnion hole, the other end locates the receiver hole. Hard to describe with words, a couple of pics were posted a few months ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The one in this tutorial is simple , easy to make , and works well.

http://gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS%20tutorial.htm
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
mmmm, both are interesting concepts, but being a Toolmaker, alittle primitive for my liking. My fixture will locate both sides at the same time, lock the trunnion in place while you fit the mag and act as a drilling guide, without having to center punch or taking the chance of being slightly off center. With the trunnion locked in place and unable to shift, you just simple take it the drill press and spot your holes. With my fixture in place you can remove the mag and reinsert it just to be sure that you have the right fit.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you would sell the hell out of them.  I want one right now
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds very interesting.  I think you could sell a lot of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good I'll take one if the price is right!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Those were my pics from Months back and I love the tool!

I am not allowed to post a link to the EE but I finally managed to find some tweezers that are the right size and with a thick enough arm to allow me to make a few of these to sell...  Hopefully the Mods will let me post to my website instead...

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=698

These work great and I have use my set on about 10-builds now as I lent it out at a build party....

If you want to make your own... remember you need some faily heavy tweezers or the stainless will snap and they just don't work well...  I have trashed more then a few tweezers trying to get something that works but I like what I got now...  except finding the tweezers is a challange!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not use the tape trick posted in the sticky at the top?  Worked great for me and only took 2 minutes of my time.

**unless you just want to add another specialty tool to your collection.  If that's the case, I can't blame you!**
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top