Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 3:59:14 PM EDT
Hopefully i'll be finishing up my jig tomorrow.  i have a sheet of stainless steel sitting around.  i was thinking about cutting out a receiver and practicing with it.  If by some fluke of nature, the jig works and things go well, i may be able to finish it into a functional receiver.  would stainless steel be an acceptable option?

thanks
caspian
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Won't have a problem with rust. It could work, I remember seeing an AK where the receiver was made from SS. Worked fine.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, I wish I could get SS flats! I wouldn't even paint anything, just weld in the trunnions and go, leave the finnish on the rest of the parts original.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
cool, thanks the the link and info.  i'll give i a shot today and see what i end up with.  the stainless was "scrap" because it was an odd ball sized square (about 2' x 3').  I paid $3 for it and if i lay them out right, should be able to make 6 flats.

caspian
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on the type of SS you will be using, SS tends to be a softer metal. I'm not sure if it can be hardened. But you would definately need to harden the trigger pin and hammer pin holes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I think there are issues with stainless and hardening.  I'm not a machinist so take this with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
i did some research and it seems that there are different kinds of stainless steel.  i'm not sure what kind i got since i got it from a scrap yard.  some heat treats, others don't.  

my metal is .050 or 1.27 mm thick, so that should help me a bit.  I may end up spot welding in a section of hardened regular steel or doubling up the stainless.  

i'm not a 10K round/year shooter, so i doubt i'll see much elongation.  

I made 3 flats so far.  right now they're just the basic shape with no holes or details cut.  that will happen tomorrow or sunday.

caspian
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
How about an aluminum forging that mimics a milled receiver?

Or am I an idiot?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How about an aluminum forging that mimics a milled receiver?

Or am I an idiot?

Nope, just ignorant of technical issues.  I don't think a milled aluminum receiver would hold up to the pressure of the M43 round.  The rails and locking lugs are milled in the receiver if I recall correctly.

If the AK47 milled received used a separate trunnion, it might work.  All the firing pressures are contained by the AR15 barrel extension and bolt in an alu receiver.

Somebody tried to make aluminum FAL receivers a couple years ago resulting in KABOOMS.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Technical data on 304L stainless:
http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/ludlum/pages/products/xq/asp/M.19/qx/product.asp?P=45#

It work hardens, and annealing softens it but it can't be heat treated to harden.  It's yield strength, annealed, appears to be half of that of the usual steel used for AK receivers.
The stainless steels vary a lot and you need to select one for your application. 304L is designed for general corrosion resistance and weldability.
Most of them are very compatible with other metals and you could put heat treated steel rails on it with screws.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top