Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:25:31 AM EDT
Someone on here once had a truly excellent tutorial on shortening a standard AK gas tube to fit an AMD-65.  Seems like there are 2 methods, one involves cutting down a standard tube and heating the end with a torch until chery red then using a 3/8" ratchet extension to swage out the end to fit on the gas block.  The other involves segmenting an existing tube, drilling out the spot welds and resolder/brazing the whole works back together.

Any thoughts on either?

Anyone have the link for either of these methods?

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
use a standard tube and cut it down
just cut it 1/8 long and grind it to fit after its reshaped
if you cut it the right size it will be to short after you open the end
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, just wondering, after you cut the tube, you heat the end, then place the extension long end into the gas tube then tap the fat end slightly into the tube to bell it out.  

Is that the way you go about it?

Thanks again.

I just don't want to screw up a perfectly good gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been researching this as well. I'm building a pistol out of an AMD65. There is a stickey on the ak pistol forum on Goonsnet. I dont care much for there forum but they do have lots of info on pistol builds......
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a press it takes 5 min.
I just did one tonight...cut it long as Candymn says, then use a 3/8 socket extension to flare it, and finish with the correct size socket.

Sockets have diff wall thicknesses, so just pick one that works (why I can't just say use X size).

If you have a press it is so easy it's stupid. No need to heat it up, the metal forms nicely.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Finished doing this yesterday on my first one =)

I used a mapp gas torch which worked great, just remember to get the metal just next to melting. i dinked on the 3/8th socket and almost pushed it all the way into the gas tube. Then i had to file down the mating surface on the portion of the gas tube where the locking mechanism is. After that it went well.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Very good gentlemen!

Very helpful, thank you.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top