BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 3:10:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i supported my Romy by shimming it with various scraps of 1/4 and 3/8 in steel i had left over from my jig project.

As for pressing out the barrel, i had a scrap bar stock i picked up at the steel yard.  

I didn't have much luck with the press and the barrel, so i ended up using a BFH and it worked fine.

Sounds like we're at the same stage.  good luck.

caspian
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I shimmed up my romy with a piece of 1/4" steel for knocking out the barrel pin.

For the barrel removal, I was using one of those 1-1/2 ton manual "C" presses at work. They have this rotating table on them with various size gaps. One of the gaps happened to be the right distance to rest the trunnion front on to either side. :)

I used a 5/8" diameter piece of steel rod on top of the penny. About the perfect diameter, 6" long.
Don't forget alignment marks just before the barrel comes out! :)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I use 1/4 square stock in a vee shape to support the front trunion.  For me, barrels have always moved much easier than the pins.

As for the romy trunion, I made a jig out of an aluminum block.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
i saw a  video clip sample on the agi website they were using a  gear puller to push the barrel out
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I was planning on using my 12 ton press to remove the barrel, but wound up using a 4" gear puller; worked like a charm.

Borrowed pictures from XO of Cetmerifles.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/wray71/M1919/DSC03391.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/wray71/M1919/DSC03392.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/wray71/M1919/DSC03394.jpg
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was planning on using my 12 ton press to remove the barrel, but wound up using a 4" gear puller; worked like a charm.

Did you have to modify the hooks on the gear puller to get it to work?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you have to modify the hooks on the gear puller to get it to work?

I didn't have to modify anything on the gear puller to get it to work.  I bought a 3 pack from Harbor Freight for about $12.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I drilled holes in a piece of scrap 1/4" hardboard for the rivet heads to rest in and a thru hole for the pin to drive thru. Shimmed it with two more pieces of hardboard. Pressed out great w/ a neighbor's 8 1/2 ton press.
Took a one foot? piece of 1/4 X 1" steel bar and bent it into a tight u shape. Protected the inside curve w/ cleanroom tape to protect the gun finish. It slips onto the barrel and the trunnion rests on it. The ends span the press bracket and rests on the steel plates. Pressed it out w/ a 5/16? deepwell socket on three pennies.It was working great till I had to stop and get ready to go out.
I'm told that was stupid.
It pressed out pretty well anyway but I wouldn't let it sit again.
I'd post a pic if I knew how.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top