Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2005 10:35:08 PM EDT
I've seen builds with and builds without the selector stop. My question is, do you really have to have the stop in if you only have 2 positions? especially if the FA position is right where the selector stop stops the selector. Can someone explain this to me?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
yes you need 1
if you dont have it the selector will turn all the way around
and hang down by the pg
also you need it for function
the rifle wont feed right without it

if you need 1 i might have an extra ill have to look
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
why wouldn't it feed right without one? i read in global trades ad that selector stop placement is very important to realible function, why? other than stoping the selector lever and slightly shiming front of trigger guard what else does it do? thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for answer
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The selector stop makes a difference in where the mag catch sits.  Without a selector stop, your trigger guard/mag catch assembly will sit too close to the receiver, and your mags will sit too high when seated.  With the selector stop acting as a spacer, it will bring your mags down just a bit when seated, allowing for the intended geometry.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
AKs are quite simple in design, if it wasn't needed, it wasn't there. Any parts found on a basic AK are there for a reason.  Leave it off and then wonder why it jams on the magazine.  Carefully study each part and how it interacts with all the others and you'll understand why most any simp can keep an AK running with a minimum of maintainence.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that doesn't explain why there are AK's built without the selector stop. I can understand the shim, but somebody please explain why some have them and some dont.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well that doesn't explain why there are AK's built without the selector stop. I can understand the shim, but somebody please explain why some have them and some dont.

You have a picture of one without the selector stop? I've never seen one myself.

ETA: I guess the milled AKs don't have the stop but all the stamped AKs I've seen do.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top