Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 10:25:29 PM EDT
I was wondering how much work (besides the FCG holes and rail installation) is need for the Yugo pre-bent flats from AK-Builder.com or Coldsteelsolutions? Are these receivers longer than what is called for? I thought I heard somebody mention that in a thread.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
its not worth the work
figure 8 to 12 hours to finish it

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#2]
FYI, I can't seem to get an email response from Coldsteel solutions right now, and I can not find a phone number for them.  Stand by....I have posted here hoping they will see it and get in touch with me....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Ak-Builders I think are coming from BentMetal.  Whether it's worth it depends on how you look at it.  I built an RPK using a BentMetal blank because there were no commercial receivers  available.  I may have done it anyway since I have plenty of time.  The blank I used was probably about a foot long so it also had to be shortened.  It only took me about 4 hours to have a complete riveted receiver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been working on a 80% Yugo Underfolder blank from Cold Steel ..It's a real pain in the ass...I'm far from a professional metal worker but....The blank itself looked rather crudely formed...The trunnion doesnt fit into the bulges properly.. None of the center punch marks were on target. I don't think the rear is bent at the correct width. The holes cut for the underfolder seem to be off. Piece of shyt if you ask me but maybe I just got a dud... I'm setting it aside till spring.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been working on a 80% Yugo Underfolder blank from Cold Steel ..It's a real pain in the ass...I'm far from a professional metal worker but....The blank itself looked rather crudely formed...The trunnion doesnt fit into the bulges properly.. None of the center punch marks were on target. I don't think the rear is bent at the correct width. The holes cut for the underfolder seem to be off. Piece of shyt if you ask me but maybe I just got a dud... I'm setting it aside till spring.

Damn..... I just received an email from ColdSteel about the Yugo underfolder. They told me that the underfolders do have the rear holes in them, but are the rear folders of as well? You don't sound to happy... I just save myself the hassle

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I am just glad you got an email from them, I have sent them 3 and they havn't responded to any of them..Coldsteel I mean
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn..... I just received an email from ColdSteel about the Yugo underfolder. They told me that the underfolders do have the rear holes in them, but are the rear folders of as well? You don't sound to happy... I just save myself the hassle

thanks,
Ron

Yes they are off somewhat..its really not a huge issue tho.Just takes time .Its just everything combined, makes for alot of work..The rear of my blank width is 1.18 and I believe its supposed to be 1.20  stuff like that..I'm not boo hooing mine you, just stating the facts.If I were to do it over again..i would go with a blank, blank..no center punches..no pre-cut underfolder holes . I'd just do them myself. Here is the fit of the trunnion  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Cindy with coldsteel called me today, we worked out our communication problems......we are good to go now
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes they are off somewhat..its really not a huge issue tho.Just takes time .Its just everything combined, makes for alot of work..The rear of my blank width is 1.18 and I believe its supposed to be 1.20  stuff like that..I'm not boo hooing mine you, just stating the facts.If I were to do it over again..i would go with a blank, blank..no center punches..no pre-cut underfolder holes . I'd just do them myself.img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/revjimjones/Yugoblank.jpg Here is the fit of the trunnion  

Those lips on the front portion of the receiver don't even make it inside the trunion????

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes they are off somewhat..its really not a huge issue tho.Just takes time .Its just everything combined, makes for alot of work..The rear of my blank width is 1.18 and I believe its supposed to be 1.20  stuff like that..I'm not boo hooing mine you, just stating the facts.If I were to do it over again..i would go with a blank, blank..no center punches..no pre-cut underfolder holes . I'd just do them myself.img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/revjimjones/Yugoblank.jpg Here is the fit of the trunnion  

Those lips on the front portion of the receiver don't even make it inside the trunion????

thanks,
Ron

It appears that the rivets WILL pull it together but I would rather have had a better fit to begin with.Would have been less stress on the receiver/ rivet . Like I said, lots of work to be done.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
You could always get one of the new DCI/Harlan receivers.  They're supposed to be pretty decent, unlike the others out there.  It's what I'd do for a Yugo build.

www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top